What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forgot the passcode to my jailbroken iPad 4 on iOS 8.4 - how can I reset it without losing data?

sjain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I recently found my iPad after about a year. I tried entering the passcode, and eventually it displayed "iPad is disabled" with "connect to iTunes" under it.

I have tried a thorough Google search with different keywords etc. but I keep getting methods for iOS 6 or methods suggesting a full restore.

Thing is, my backup is from 3 years ago, and I don't really want to lose my jailbreak tweaks either :/

Then I stumbled upon "Using SSH on your jailbroken device to delete the passcode" from EDITED - no website links as an outdated method.

I remembered that maybe jailbreak could help me get rid of the passcode.

My device:
iOS 8.4
Jailbroken
iPad 4 / Retina
Has an iCloud account that I know the username and password of
Has been registered with iTunes before

I have the latest version of iTunes on my PC.

Is there any way I can delete or remove the passcode from my iPad? I am happy to do anything, except restoring with iTunes, resetting the device to factory settings, wiping the device or doing anything to lose iOS 8.4 or Jailbreak

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
sjain

EDIT: After attempting to backup via iTunes the message has gone. I will try my very best to remember the passcode.

EDIT 2: Text

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Using iTunes to restore your iPad will update it to the latest iOS version, iOS 10.3.1. This will result in the loss of all data on the iPad. You will not be able to jailbreak at this time but your tweaks will still be there, waiting for you to re-install them when a jailbreak becomes available.

OP
S

sjain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using iTunes to restore your iPad will update it to the latest iOS version, iOS 10.3.1. This will result in the loss of all data on the iPad. You will not be able to jailbreak at this time but your tweaks will still be there, waiting for you to re-install them when a jailbreak becomes available.
Hey man, I am sorry I forgot to mention that I don't want to lose jailbreak or iOS 8.4. I don't want to restore either.

Sorry I didn't mention that at first. Any ideas for that?

Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate the info, didn't know it would update.

I'm sure there is some way. iOS 8.4 isn't that secure and I am sure you can do it with the powerful jailbreak.

I know that's a really broad and possibly stupid statement. Please correct me if I am wrong :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't remember your passcode, there are three ways to get your device back to working again, all three of them will erase it:
Restoring through iTunes, using recovery mode to restore it, or erasing it through iCloud.
You've already mentioned them above.

It's not possible to remove the passcode any other way.

Most reactions