What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with wifi only versions of the ipad 2

jamesmckeephx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think if you have a phone that can be a hot spot it's kinda pointless to have the 3G versions. Especially if you have an android. Your talking free Internet service. Can't beat that.

Agree on that. Cept youtube videos don't seem to work so good on a mobile Hotspot or is that just me

Sent from my evo on tapatalk

AJsAWiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mhayslip said:
I don't need the 3G version either as I have WiFi at all my work locations and at home. If I am travelling, the hotels I stay in have free WiFi. If I need internet while out and about where there is no WiFi, I just use my iPhone 4 to access the 3G, or Edge, network. All-in-all, I am saving money, which is a good thing.

Same here. That's exactly what I do :)

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They are cracking down on tethering. I wouldn't be surprised if the party ended in six months.

I just use mine to maybe check a website like this while I'm on my 10 minute bus ride, or send an email. I recently got a "sign-up for Verizon tethering" notice on my phone though, so I'm going to stop for a while to see if they say anything or if it was just automated. Also, I've heard AT&T is doing the same thing, but they will actually start charging users after the short grace period (which has already begun)

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
I've no need for the 3G version as I have an iPhone, unfortunately I can not share the 3G connection.... Until I pay extra for the privilege :(

So have decided to get a mifi, if I am going to pay extra for the privilege, I'd rather get the mifi than enable the function on the iphone

*edit* just realised that I typed mifi as miff lol

Last edited:

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If AT&T charges me the higher rate for tethering then I will tether more often to get the use out of it. And stream more movies and other videos to get close to the 4GB I will have available. But right now I'm am tethering and only using around 1GB a month.

eltaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 64 gig 3G+wifi. I've heard that AT&T (who i'm with) is a pay as you go data plan for the iPad. By default though it is set to bill you automatically so make sure you change that if you don't want that to happen.
I also have an iPhone 4 but i'm ticked that there is a charge for using the tethering. My previous cell phone was a Dell Streak Android tablet phone which has the capability to tether for FREE!
I used it when I was on a business trip to Alaska, tethering my MacBook Pro to it and it worked fine.
It sucks that AT&T charges for one and not the other.

My two cents, lol

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kevbo said:
They are cracking down on tethering. I wouldn't be surprised if the party ended in six months.
This is what people would call a WAG (wild ass guess)!

AutoTraveler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since I have a Nexus One with the all you can eat voice/data/text plan for $100/month on T-Mobile (had to jump through hoops last January with Google and T-Mobile to get my grandfathered legacy rate on the Nexus One) I simply use the WiFi hot spot feature of my phone for the times I'm not accessing a hot spot. The only issue I have is the terrible battery life on the Nexus One when using the hot spot feature, especially when I'm using Bluetooth at the same time. But it sure beats paying for a separate data plan on AT&T or Verizon.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi plus 4G Hotspot

I'm in a somewhat different situation that may match some others'. So here's my approach. I travel on business fairly frequently and while I almost always have wifi connectivity there are times when I don't. (inadequately wired hotels; client sites without wifi or secured unavailable networks.)

Since I have to have intenet access at all times, I recently upgraded my Verizon data access phone number (linked to a specific netbook I bought from VZW) to a Samsung "hotspot" 4G router. Saves me $10 a month ($50) if I don't use over 5gigs per month via the Verizon network (and I almost never use that much.) and $10 per gig if I go over.

The hotspot router connects up to five devices at one time so I can use it with my iPad, laptop, and phone simultaneously and get 4G speeds. (About 8-10 times faster on the VZW LTE network than 3G speeds.)

It's a perfect solution for me but there are downsides to consider.

() Unlike the month-to-month pricing available for the iPad I have to pay $50 for 5gigs every month whether I use it or not. But since month-to-month pricing isn't available for the hotspot that I can use with other devices, I have to live with it.

() The 4G LTE network is currently limited to about 60 cities (as I recall), but fortunately, my work takes me to cities that are covered (e.g. San Jose, Los Angeles, etc.)

() I could have opted to get the same functionality with a new 4G phone with hotspot functionality and tethering but for a number of reasons I preferred to keep my old phone and not mix my voice functionality with data access. Further, it appears that 4G hotspot speed is significantly faster than 4G service on the tethered HTC Thunderbolt from Verizon. (According to Laptop Magazine, as I recall.) And as I recall, there is a separate "tethering" monthly charge on the phone. (That may be avoidable if you're willing to root your phone and violate your contract. I'm not.)

So, bottom line is that I saved about $130 on the price of iPad and a separate monthly data charge for 3G service when I need it on the iPad. Since I have to have internet access at all times on my laptop, that's a sunk cost of $35-$50 per month (3 gigs is cheaper than 5 gigs.) In return I get 4G internet access on both my laptop and my iPad.

droid2mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just about every place I work or relax in has wifi. About the only time I don't have wifi is when I'm driving. If I really need to get on the internet without wifi, I have my Droid phone.

Laughsalot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gps?

Can I tether my ipad2, to my GPS system and become mobile? :confused: I have an 32g wifi.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe in the English football world WAG stands for Wifes & Girlfriends..........so careful to whom you are going to say: "I am taking a WAG."

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions