What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food anyone?

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice bit of alfresco dining there Richard! That dinner looks delicious.
Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Andrew. While we were eating, it looked like a tiny wasp - non aggressive type - was building a nest in one of the screw holes to the parasol winder casing.
I said nothing. I have just checked this morning, and sure enough, the screw hole is sealed with mud. So, I expect to witness a hatching soon. Photo of the finished nest will appear under the what I see on my backyard thread.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew. While we were eating, it looked like a tiny wasp - non aggressive type - was building a nest in one of the screw holes to the parasol winder casing.
I said nothing. I have just checked this morning, and sure enough, the screw hole is sealed with mud. So, I expect to witness a hatching soon. Photo of the finished nest will appear under the what I see on my backyard thread.

Gosh I hope that, as you say, it is not aggressive. Like the European Wasp that we consider quite scary down here. We had a nest of the little devils in a tree 3 years ago and had to call in professional help to eradicate it. We consider them very nasty indeed and there are a number of ways that people try to trap them. This link will give you an idea.
http://www.wasptrap.com.au/html/information_about_the_european.html
Cheers, Andrew

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gosh I hope that, as you say, it is not aggressive. Like the European Wasp that we consider quite scary down here. We had a nest of the little devils in a tree 3 years ago and had to call in professional help to eradicate it. We consider them very nasty indeed and there are a number of ways that people try to trap them. This link will give you an idea.
http://www.wasptrap.com.au/html/information_about_the_european.html
Cheers, Andrew

Hi there,
I've posted a couple of pics in the backyard thread. The nest fits into a screw hole less than 10mm diameter.
I hope no one disturbs the nest before the young fly off.
Cheered mate
Richard

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Information about the European Wasp catcher
Cheers, Andrew

Oh, I hate those food-seeking kind! At one place I worked, they made it unbearable to sit outside for lunch, because they were drawn directly to food.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I hate those food-seeking kind! At one place I worked, they made it unbearable to sit outside for lunch, because they were drawn directly to food.

Exactly! And they have ruined many a picnic. It seems to have settled down here a bit now, haven't heard much about them lately. But gee you don't want to be bitten by one. It's like they do it with hate, striking over and over again. A far cry from the busy little bee who will only sting when dreadfully threatened, and then when it stings I understand it dies too.
Regards, Andrew

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly! And they have ruined many a picnic. It seems to have settled down here a bit now, haven't heard much about them lately. But gee you don't want to be bitten by one. It's like they do it with hate, striking over and over again. A far cry from the busy little bee who will only sting when dreadfully threatened, and then when it stings I understand it dies too.
Regards, Andrew

Yes, I don't even flinch when I see a bee or two. But those wasps make me long for a big vacuum cleaner so I can suck them all up in one swoop, lol.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I don't even flinch when I see a bee or two. But those wasps make me long for a big vacuum cleaner so I can suck them all up in one swoop, lol.

I know the feeling! As a kid I had a fallen apple shoved down my shirt. The apple was full of feeding wasps which were very ticked off. I was stung hundreds of times and ended up in hospital. The good thing is that since then a wasp sting hardly bothers me.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know the feeling! As a kid I had a fallen apple shoved down my shirt. The apple was full of feeding wasps which were very ticked off. I was stung hundreds of times and ended up in hospital. The good thing is that since then a wasp sting hardly bothers me.

Oh my god, how terrible for you.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow that is so cruel Roy Rob. Horse fly stings are my worst nightmare(yes, I know, I own two of them). My arm can swell up double the size if I don't take my antihistamines.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts