What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folders for videos - can it be done

Johnhpower

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am brand new to the Ipad2 and ran a search for the answer to my question but could not find anything.

I am about to transfer a number of ballroom dance videos to the device and I want to copy them to separate folders so when I want the foxtrot videos I can go to that folder or the cha cha videos to that folder, etc. etc This is how they are organized on my laptop.

Can this be done?

Thanks

John H. Power

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Sit tight and someone will be along to answer your question, in the meantime:

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
it generally cant be done. all videos can only be sorted out alphabetically at present, and all in the same folder. But, a clever workaround i've discovered is to reconfigure (via itunes) your videos you want folder sorted into podcasts. podcasts can be sorted and filed differently.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are apps available that organize and manage files and folders. Use of these apps, however, may force a change in how you view the videos and how you sync your data. I use fileapp pro to create folders into which I keep and view pictures and videos. Perhaps it would work for you.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could also make each video a TV show in the info dialog and put the folder name in the TV show name field.
This would put them in folders. My TV shows show up in folders when in Icon view.

Edit: The only thing is it doesn’t specify the show name until you open the folder and it shows up on the top.

Last edited:

paulthefencer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing you might want to try is to go into iTunes on your computer and once it's up and running tap "movies" under "library" on the left side of the screen. Then select one of the movies. Right mouse click, a box will open up and select "get info". Under the existing movie title, change the title to, as and example, "Foxtrot:Me and Brenda", "Cha Cha:October dance", etc, then re-title each movie with the type of dance style first. It should alphabetize them by dance style so all the dance styles will be together. I hope that helps.

Paul

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
it generally cant be done. all videos can only be sorted out alphabetically at present, and all in the same folder. But, a clever workaround i've discovered is to reconfigure (via itunes) your videos you want folder sorted into podcasts. podcasts can be sorted and filed differently.

I just did this and it worked well on my iPad 3rd generation. The bulk of my videos are organized into albums and showing under the podcast tab of the videos app. Now there are 5 items rather than 100 - much easier to work with. Thanks sjleworthy!

Jez EMIN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please can somebody explain HOW they did this (the PodCast solution is what I'm referring to).

I have nearly 500 videos on my iPad and would dearly love to know how to put them into separate Folders (they are software training videos and reside on my PC under separate folders etc).

Thanks,

:eek:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Store them in a file storage app like Goodreader or File Browser. Keep the file/folder structure in place and play at your leisure. alternatively, video playback apps like AVplayerHD or OplayerHD may allow it within its own storage as well.

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please can somebody explain HOW they did this (the PodCast solution is what I'm referring to).

I have nearly 500 videos on my iPad and would dearly love to know how to put them into separate Folders (they are software training videos and reside on my PC under separate folders etc).

Thanks,

:eek:

Import them into Itunes on your mac or PC. Then select the entire group, choose "get info" and then the options tab. Choose podcast as the media kind. Then return to the list, which may be listed under podcasts now rather than videos. Select the movies that you want in your first "folder". Choose "get info" again, but this time go into the "info" tab and give them all the same album name. Do that for each group that you want in a "folder". Now when you synch them with your ipad they'll be in the video app under podcasts, with each "folder" having its own icon.

lior_lev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I make a movie folder on my ipad desktop, not in the movie folder .

Most reactions

Latest posts