What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flummoxed with PDFs on ibooks

UberFusion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - new to the forums - and more correctly I'm flummoxed with PDFs NOT being on ibooks...

I have a ipad air and recently updated to ios8 (and the 8.2 patch)...

For 6 months I have been easily accessing (ie. Collections -> PDFs) and reading PDFs on my ipad using ibooks (as well as using it to read epubs) but recently either due to the ios8 update or something else I did (or didn't do such as syncing) I have lost my PDF docs. I have copies of the PDFs on my Windows PC so that's not an issue but I am unable to get them back on my ipad so I can continue reading them...

Previously to put the PDFs on my ipad I was able to drag and drop them from my PC into "Books" within itunes and they would show up in the ibooks Collections -> PDFs ... but now when I do that I see them on my ipad as viewed by itunes but when I disconnect my ipad the PDFs do not show up in ibooks...
FYI - I can still drag and drop epubs into ibooks and access/read them in ibooks.

I have also tried transferring the PDFs using ifunbox and CopyTransManager but they still do not show up in ibooks.

Now to read the PDFs I have been dragging and dropping them using ifunbox into the Adobe app and that works fine for viewing the docs using Adobe reader but I'm still trying to figure out why I can no longer drag and drop the PDFs into ibooks and use it for reading the PDFs as I used to.

Thanks for any help....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You've probably already done this, but I'll mention it just in case.

When viewing the library, make sure the category (top center) says All Books or PDF's. PDF files don't' show up in the Books category unless you manually place them there.

If you've created other categories and placed PDF books there, they will show only in that category and the All Books category.

OP
U

UberFusion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the input (you're right that is an important point) but I have looked at all the categories and the PDFs don't show anywhere.
I should add that I emailed a PDF to myself and was able to open the PDF attachment in ibooks so I can see (in the PDFs categories) and read that PDF in ibooks.

But even though I can drag and drop PDF files using copytrans or ifunbox and they appear in the ipad file structure in the ibooks directory they do not show up in the ibooks' PDF library...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't help with the methods you are using. I've always used iTunes, and now the OS X iBooks app, to transfer PDF's to iBooks. If I'm concerned about having a backup copy on the computer, that is.

Otherwise, I just use DropBox, email, or any other convenient method to get them to Open In iBooks.

That said, I don't make heavy use of PDF files for books. It's a last resort sort of thing that I rarely use except for manuals and other resources I can't find in a more flexible format.

Most reactions

Latest posts