What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Batch copying pdfs from Dropbox to Adobe Reader ?

Wyvernwood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the ipad having just got my first one over the weekend.

I've managed to get dropbox working, and have copied a large number of drawings (PDFs) to it.

I can open them from Dropbox, via 'Open with..' to Adobe Reader to create a local copy (for reading and annotation offline).

Trouble is - how can I copy multiple PDFs over to Adobe Reader ? there are around 100-200 drawings that I will need to review - manually doing the "open with" approach is just a bit cumbersome.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the ipad having just got my first one over the weekend. I've managed to get dropbox working, and have copied a large number of drawings (PDFs) to it. I can open them from Dropbox, via 'Open with..' to Adobe Reader to create a local copy (for reading and annotation offline). Trouble is - how can I copy multiple PDFs over to Adobe Reader ? there are around 100-200 drawings that I will need to review - manually doing the "open with" approach is just a bit cumbersome. Any ideas ? Thanks
Hi, welcome to iPF!

Files can only be transfered one by one if you use Dropbox. If you want to continue using Dropbox, there's no other way to get them to Adobe Reader.
I took a look at the app, and found that Adobe has it's own cloud storage, which can be accessed on a computer as well. Maybe it would be easier for you to put the PDFs to that online storage (not Dropbox), using a computer, because this will make it possible to open them in the Adobe Reader app without workarounds.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can use iTunes to mass transfer documents to an app - if it supports it. Hopefully, we're talking about the same Adobe Reader app, but here's how to do it:

(1) Connect your iPad to your iTunes and then go to the "Apps" tab (in the list across the top). Then, scroll to the bottom of the Apps tab to the "File Sharing" tab. Find your app and click on it:

myqeremy.jpg

(2) Then, you can decide how to put documents into the app - using the iTunes "Add" button or doind a drag-n-drop:

ba8ame8a.jpg

(3) Once you have all the documents in the app/iTunes, click on the sync button:

u3ajy2um.jpg

(4) After what will seem like a long wait :))), iTunes will be done and you can eject your iPad from iTunes. Then, when you open the app, the documents will be there in your app on the iPad:

u7uhu2y9.jpg

Hopefully, this will work for you as it worked for me. Since you can select multiple documents with the "Add" button in iTunes - that may be the easiest/fastest way versus drag/drop. Either way, it should be faster than loading them one at a time. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
W

Wyvernwood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for thaking the time to put that together Marilyn, I'll try that out later when I can connect to my PC again. Hopefully that will allow me to copy them all over at once.

I will still be using dropbox for remote storage, as we have already got a team working on this project using it (we can all access the central files and retrieve comments etc. placed by team members).

Presumably I can use iTunes to copy the files from dropbox (as that is a location accessible from explorer on the PC anyway).

Fingers crossed, hopefully that will work.

Thanks again,
Martin

OP
W

Wyvernwood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Jonanna, I'm not sure whether using the Adobe cloud storage will help, the main reason for copying them over to the app is have access to the drawings off-line. It may be that I will still have to open them individually from the Reader app whilst on-line to create a local copy ?

I'll try it and see - many thanks for the suggestion,
Martin

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many thanks for thaking the time to put that together Marilyn, I'll try that out later when I can connect to my PC again. Hopefully that will allow me to copy them all over at once.

I will still be using dropbox for remote storage, as we have already got a team working on this project using it (we can all access the central files and retrieve comments etc. placed by team members).

Presumably I can use iTunes to copy the files from dropbox (as that is a location accessible from explorer on the PC anyway).

Fingers crossed, hopefully that will work.

Thanks again,
Martin

I am able to copy right from Dropbox into iTunes. As you said, it's an accessible location on the computer. Again, not issue with the transfer.

Just so's you are reassured... :)

Marilyn

Most reactions