What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flash: Why so important to the Ipad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good point, TinMan. I dont miss flash at all really. I adjusted to life without it on ipad..lol. I found out about that wrk around also u mentioned. I have the atomic browser, nightbrowser(where u can set the brightness lower thn stock n wont hurt eyes), and Full browser. Always good to have other browsers because it lets u change what the websites see u as. The ones that dont wrk in safari might wrk in another type like IE, or safari mobile. Easy to change in browser settings.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, I did my research as well, and decided that the benefits of the iPad far outweighed the annoyances. I was right and am very happy with the decision. That doesn't make the annoyances go away or become non-issues.

My point is addressing the people who say flash is irrelevant and just a bunch of ads. There is good, legit, well-developed flash out there. Sure, we can live without it with apps or workarounds.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, I did my research as well, and decided that the benefits of the iPad far outweighed the annoyances. I was right and am very happy with the decision. That doesn't make the annoyances go away or become non-issues.

Just wanted to state that I'm totally with you :)

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the reviews I read from current owners decry the absence of Flash on the I-pads now being sold. As a non-owner, can someone tell a noob why this is so important. Every thing I read about the new release in November says nothing about it being included with the 11/10 model.
Anyone have the 'skinny' on this?

Jerry (male counterpart of jerliz)

Since for now and the near future flash is and will be the predominant platform for video on the internet, not having the ability to access it on the iPad has become a major issue.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since for now and the near future flash is and will be the predominant platform for video on the internet, not having the ability to access it on the iPad has become a major issue.

Technically, isn't Flash just the container we get internet video in? The video itself is h.264 for the most part, which is why you can sidestep Flash with an app as Youtube and Netflix are doing.

Highbred8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is it anyone who wishes flash was available for iPad gets flamed? And why must they provide proof of the sites they like to visit that use flash? Seems kinda trivial for someone to actually care that someone would like flash on the iPad. Things like "need proof of these sites" or "use you computer" and my favorite the sarcastic " did you know it didn't have flash before you bought it?" are really getting old. I mean the iPad is arguably the best tablet available but would be even better with flash. should I have the choice to use flash on a device I paid over $500 for? Damn right I should. It's not the point of wether or not I should care if I can't view an embedded video or that I can use my pc to view those. Point is I shouldn't have to go to my pc if don't want too and I as well as many others would love our ipads even more if it just supported flash....... And had ms office lol.

And I did do my research, owned iPhones since the first gen and am well accustomed to ios and it's pros and cons. Doesn't change that although I really do like ios, I think it would be better with the ability to go anywhere (Internet wise).

Last edited:

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Highbred, Flash is an outdated technology and is being replaced rapidly on many major sites by HTML5. Pretty soon, it won't even be around. Apple is clearly taking the side of HTML5 because they see it as the tech of the future. Also, Flash just doesn't perform well on mobile devices. It taxes the processor too much, slows things down and kills battery life. Just look at how terrible it is on Android devices. Jobs could have allowed Flash on iOS, but he's a perfectionist and didn't want problematic performance on the iPhone and iPad.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And I did do my research, owned iPhones since the first gen and am well accustomed to ios and it's pros and cons. Doesn't change that although I really do like ios, I think it would be better with the ability to go anywhere (Internet wise).

Then you, and everyone that feels as you do, blew it big time. Your best chance at getting an iPad with Flash was to NOT buy one without it, sending a clear message to Apple and the rest of the market that "no Flash = no sale." By purchasing one without it, by helping to make the iPad a worldwide global phenomenon without it, you've helped destroy any chance they'll ever include it. You vote with your dollars in the business world, and you cast 500 or more votes against Flash when you bought an iPad.

All the posting in the world isn't going to change your vote. And saying "I spent $500 on a hammer when I wanted a screwdriver, and yeah, I saw the sign reading 'hammer'" isn't something that makes a lot of people think "What a genius - I'll take his opinions seriously!"

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Then you, and everyone that feels as you do, blew it big time. Your best chance at getting an iPad with Flash was to NOT buy one without it, sending a clear message to Apple and the rest of the market that "no Flash = no sale." By purchasing one without it, by helping to make the iPad a worldwide global phenomenon without it, you've helped destroy any chance they'll ever include it. You vote with your dollars in the business world, and you cast 500 or more votes against Flash when you bought an iPad.

All the posting in the world isn't going to change your vote. And saying "I
spent $500 on a hammer when I wanted a screwdriver, and yeah, I saw the sign reading 'hammer'" isn't something that makes a lot of people think "What a genius - I'll take his opinions seriously!"

To hell with finesse. I'll just bash the turns of the screw down with the hammer and it will hold just as well, and I can complain about the spilt wood, too!

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Highbred, Flash is an outdated technology and is being replaced rapidly on many major sites by HTML5. Pretty soon, it won't even be around. Apple is clearly taking the side of HTML5 because they see it as the tech of the future. Also, Flash just doesn't perform well on mobile devices. It taxes the processor too much, slows things down and kills battery life. Just look at how terrible it is on Android devices. Jobs could have allowed Flash on iOS, but he's a perfectionist and didn't want problematic performance on the iPhone and iPad.

Do you really believe this is the reason Apple is not allowing Flash to run on iOS devices? I believe the actual reason boils down to a more sensible explanation and that is money. Apple wants to control their advertising space and with Flash that control belongs to Adobe and not Apple. It all comes down to money. Trying to justify it any other way is just silly. I don't know if Jobs is a perfectionist (why cripple the new Ipod Touch with inferior hardware if perfection is your goal?), but he certainly has a keen business sense, and right now the popularity of iOS devices gives him the means to dictate the rules. I imagine you would see Flash in a heartbeat on iOS devices if Apple was struggling and it would help them gain market share.

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Do you really believe this is the reason Apple is not allowing Flash to run on iOS devices? I believe the actual reason boils down to a more sensible explanation and that is money. Apple wants to control their advertising space and with Flash that control belongs to Adobe and not Apple. It all comes down to money. Trying to justify it any other way is just silly. I don't know if Jobs is a perfectionist (why cripple the new Ipod Touch with inferior hardware if perfection is your goal?), but he certainly has a keen business sense, and right now the popularity of iOS devices gives him the means to dictate the rules. I imagine you would see Flash in a heartbeat on iOS devices if Apple was struggling and it would help them gain market share.

Yes, I really do believe that if Flash worked correctly, Jobs would have implemented it in the iDevices. You do know that before Apple blatantly rejected Adobe, they asked Adobe to make a useable version of Flash for the iPhone, right? Adobe simply couldn't produce something that was stable, battery friendly and fast enough for the iPhone. And guess what, since Apple's rejection of Flash, websites have kicked it into high gear in terms of converting their content for HTML5, which works flawlessly on the iDevices.

Highbred8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never said I wish I didn't by the iPad or that it must have flash. I said I would like it even better if it did. Regardless of if flash is becoming old, it's still all over the place and will remain for quite some time still so it would be nice to have it. Do I have to have it? Obviously not since I bought an iPad regardless.

Even if adobe didn't make a flash version that apple was happy with at that time, do you think they never could? Even if they came out with a version that worked flawlessly on iPad today it still wouldn't be allowed. As for it not functioning well on mobile devices, I'll just have to take your word on that. Because I've used it on an evo the other day for quite some time and it worked just fine IMO.

My point wasn't that the iPad must have flash or needs it, because it doesn't. My point was that if we had it I, as well as many others would be even happier with our ipads. And that they could of at least given us the choice. A tablet that runs flash vs a tablet that doesn't is not exactly a hammer vs a screwdriver. More like an apple vs a grapple, still an apple but has a little grape flavor to it :D

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"I believe the actual reason boils down to a more sensible explanation and that is money. Apple wants to control their advertising space and with Flash that control belongs to Adobe and not Apple. It all comes down to money. Trying to justify it any other way is just silly".

Frankly for all Jobs' failings I think this a distorted interpretation of what we know. Rogatsby's reasoning is far more persuasive than this over simplistic argument. Loads of other ways they could have cut corners to save money on the iPad.......

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Frankly for all Jobs' failings I think this a distorted interpretation of what we know. Rogatsby's reasoning is far more persuasive than this over simplistic argument. Loads of other ways they could have cut corners to save money on the iPad.......

I feel the opposite. I get the impression Jobs' reasoning is ad hoc, and that really, there's nothing Adobe could do to get Flash on the iPad and iPhone; he wants to cut them out and all the explanations are so much blatherskite to serve that objective.

Flash is mostly about advertising on the web, which is why I don't miss it much on the iPad, and a HUGE portion of iOS4's supposed improvements are... integrated advertising. He's effectively walled advertisers on the web off from a large, lucrative marketing segment on the information superhighway, and he's positioning to set up a toll road.

T

TJK

I truly don't miss Flash on my iPad. In fact, I also have a Flash Blocker installed in Firefox on my notebook computer and I seem to get by just fine. (I also completely removed Java from my notebook as well.)

As others have mentioned it seems that Flash largely exists for advertising (even on this site)and I find ads annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions