What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flash Runtime Ported to iPad

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Totally not saying anyone should not jailbreak... just stating that I don't see the appeal.
It seems like lots of work just to watch flash die. I have not seen anyone argue convincingly that flash is better than html5.

I was at Best Buy before I bought my iPad and a couple of guys (I think father and son) came in and asked if it could run Linux. I don't begrudge them if they want to run that os, but for me I don't see the appeal of command lines anymore, either. I know Linux can have gui, and gives more control to the user, but who cares? I just want the thing to work.

In the same way, I prefer automatic transmission in my car to manual shifting. I know and acknowledge that manual can be better often, but is also a pain in traffic, and I just want to drive and get where I am going.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my gfs iPad has been sitting on the tv stand for a couple days now....she used it tues to listen to music for a couple hours....it was at 97% this morning....last charge was tues morning.

At times I also use my iPad as a Big 80's radio.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Totally not saying anyone should not jailbreak... just stating that I don't see the appeal.
It seems like lots of work just to watch flash die. I have not seen anyone argue convincingly that flash is better than html5.

I was at Best Buy before I bought my iPad and a couple of guys (I think father and son) came in and asked if it could run Linux. I don't begrudge them if they want to run that os, but for me I don't see the appeal of command lines anymore, either. I know Linux can have gui, and gives more control to the user, but who cares? I just want the thing to work.

In the same way, I prefer automatic transmission in my car to manual shifting. I know and acknowledge that manual can be better often, but is also a pain in traffic, and I just want to drive and get where I am going.

The video quality of Flash is higher than HTML5. This is fairly universally recognized, so there isn't much to argue about. Also, the implementation on the iPad and on Android is "on demand", so you decide which flash content actually renders. You do not see flash ads unless you tap the flash ad and tell it to render.

Arthur Hucksake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What makes me laugh is how everyone is suddenly convinced Flash is dying out just because Steve says so. It isn't, far from it.

Infact, now I have Flash 10.1 on my mobile phone and it works great. It's looking very healthy, and won't be going anywhere for atleast 5 years.

"It seems like lots of work just to watch flash die."

It's not happening, sorry. Not for years, it will be a natural web progression.

Once Frash can actually render videos I will definately install it.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's great, you go your way and enjoy your flash experience as long as you are happy that is all that matters.

I like millions of iPhone and iPad users we don't need it and could not care less about it. If I really really want to visit some flash site I can do that on my Macbook. Considering I hav'nt used the MacBook for over a month now it's a non issue. Yes you will be able to use flash if you want to jail break your iPad or phone but for me no thanks I love both devices the way they are.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see why people want to have their iPad run slower and loose battery life as well as open their device up to possible virus attack just for flash.

It's like people now really want it only because the iPad doesn't have it.

I prefer not to be limited to certain websites/videos by jobs ego.:eek:

Has nothing to do with Jobs ego.

Jobs flat out told adobe they would include flash if adobe could get it to run fast, without errors, and killing battery life. Adobe never made that happen.

This isnt something that apple makes, understand that adobe is the one who makes flash player, if they are not willing to make something that works right why should apple try and include something that would make the product worse? and on top of that what were they going to include since there has been no decent mobile version of flash until just recently.

Shouldn't this be up to the consumer to decide? Apple could have included it with the option to turn it off. If someone wants their iPad to run slower and have less battery life why shouldn't they have that option?

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I prefer not to be limited to certain websites/videos by jobs ego.:eek:

Jobs flat out told adobe they would include flash if adobe could get it to run fast, without errors, and killing battery life. Adobe never made that happen.

This isnt something that apple makes, understand that adobe is the one who makes flash player, if they are not willing to make something that works right why should apple try and include something that would make the product worse? and on top of that what were they going to include since there has been no decent mobile version of flash until just recently.

Shouldn't this be up to the consumer to decide? Apple could have included it with the option to turn it off. If someone wants their iPad to run slower and have less battery life why shouldn't they have that option?

Apple doesn't operate like that. They know what is best for you. You aren't competent enough to handle flash or bluetooth file transfer or access to the file system according to Apple.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash and Acrobat are notorious for being vulnerable to viruses. What could be easier. You have a trap door into the code of Flash, and it is so code laden anyway, nobody will notice. Flash is particularly susceptible because it is used to put advertising content into everything. No big deal adding a few lines, then sending it out to a Youtube-like web site. Just have a video of some gal naked and you can infect hundreds or thousands of computers

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash and Acrobat are notorious for being vulnerable to viruses. What could be easier. You have a trap door into the code of Flash, and it is so code laden anyway, nobody will notice. Flash is particularly susceptible because it is used to put advertising content into everything. No big deal adding a few lines, then sending it out to a Youtube-like web site. Just have a video of some gal naked and you can infect hundreds or thousands of computers

And this affects iPad or iPhone users how? They would have to go to a website hosting the infected flash content, ENABLE the specific flash content by tapping on it, and then become infected. This is no different from a user going to an infected website and downloading an infected file and running it.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Then why not let the free market decide? If Adobe products pose an inherent risk to a user's system then let the user decide not to use it. That is the way that it is supposed to work.

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Then why not let the free market decide? If Adobe products pose an inherent risk to a user's system then let the user decide not to use it. That is the way that it is supposed to work.

And this affects iPad or iPhone users how? They would have to go to a website hosting the infected flash content, ENABLE the specific flash content by tapping on it, and then become infected. This is no different from a user going to an infected website and downloading an infected file and running it.

Apple doesn't operate like that. They know what is best for you. You aren't competent enough to handle flash or bluetooth file transfer or access to the file system according to Apple.

Exactly, apple doesn't work like that.

EVERYONE knew they didn't work like that BEFORE they bought this product.

WHY in all heavens is there such a complaint about it now??? I knew it didn't have flash and I'm sad I can't get it working without a major hack, but DAMN IT - I knew this!

If you don't like the i* device without flash, then give it up, sell it and walk away.

At least you have it on Mac computers. But for the portable products, it's not available and it's never been stated it would be. Make do. Wait for HTML 5 or get an Android tablet when it comes to market.

QED.

That said, I am looking forward to installing this and trying it, but I might wait a bit as I'm a little too lazy to SSH into my iPad and install a runtime :)

shAdOwXPR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it's still too buggy and video playback is not woring yet. But when they get this thing running stable im the first downloading it. Just for video on the web.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

This and the fact that iPad is a linux OS....so you would have to actually somehow install windows on your iPad then go to a website with flash and activate it.....chances are thats not gonna happen!

Try running a .exe on your iPad someday...see how far it gets you....or even malicious java code...or active x.....good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts