What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flash Runtime Ported to iPad

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I'm one of those and only saw flash as ads.... Because of my browsing experience on the iPad, I turned off Flash on my PC, and it is faster, and I don't have to look at all the stupid animation ads..... I know some folks play the Flash games and such, but for folks like me Flash is really a system resource hog....

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see why people want to have their iPad run slower and loose battery life as well as open their device up to possible virus attack just for flash.

It's like people now really want it only because the iPad doesn't have it.

I prefer not to be limited to certain websites/videos by jobs ego.:eek:

Arthur Hucksake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see why people want to have their iPad run slower and loose battery life as well as open their device up to possible virus attack just for flash.

I miss not being able to play videos on IGN and stuff and there's no native app yet so Frash would be awesome. Suppose you could always turn it off when not required.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

Has nothing to do with Jobs ego.

Jobs flat out told adobe they would include flash if adobe could get it to run fast, without errors, and killing battery life. Adobe never made that happen.

This isnt something that apple makes, understand that adobe is the one who makes flash player, if they are not willing to make something that works right why should apple try and include something that would make the product worse? and on top of that what were they going to include since there has been no decent mobile version of flash until just recently.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otMLQuDRQ58[/ame]

Last edited:

OperatorX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, these are business decisions that both companies have made for valid reasons to each. I know Adobe has had issues with Flash on mutiple mobile platforms going back to the early pocket PCs. With that said, it's the users who utimately suffer for the decisions, good, bad or indifferent. One thing is for sure, with millions of iPhones and iPads shipping and becoming people's main mobile internet viewing platforms, companies will be forced to make a decision as to whether Flash should be a part of their websites in the future if they want the content viewed on an Apple mobile device. Like it or not, it can only hurt Adobe. People are not going to stop buying iPads because they can't view flash. It's not stopping them now

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Didn't stop me,but is still damn annoying.I see reviews in the app store all the time about crappy apps that continually crash things. Why don't they mind these 3rd party apps?

Temp40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.tabletbuzzblog.com
Unfortunately, these are business decisions that both companies have made for valid reasons to each. I know Adobe has had issues with Flash on mutiple mobile platforms going back to the early pocket PCs. With that said, it's the users who utimately suffer for the decisions, good, bad or indifferent. One thing is for sure, with millions of iPhones and iPads shipping and becoming people's main mobile internet viewing platforms, companies will be forced to make a decision as to whether Flash should be a part of their websites in the future if they want the content viewed on an Apple mobile device. Like it or not, it can only hurt Adobe. People are not going to stop buying iPads because they can't view flash. It's not stopping them now

Yeah some good points there. Whatever the case, at least at this time it's a bit of a toss up for developers to decide for a while if it's best to use Flash or not, the standard(s) can change so quickly as we all know

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont know what you guys are talking about. Flash works perfectly on Android. You don't get ads, so the guy who said that is wrong. You decide which flash content plays by setting it "on demand" or whatever the setting is. You tap the flash content you want to play and it loads. It works flawlessly and doesn't affect the battery life at all, because 99% of the time flash isn't being loaded. Seriously a lot of people in this thread are ridiculously misinformed about the nature of flash on mobile devices.

That said, I don't want Apple deciding for me what I should or shouldn't use. If you don't want to use flash because you think it destroys your battery or kills puppies or whatever, don't use it, turn it off. But allow those of us who want to use it to at least have the option.

mobbosss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would you not jailbreak? Mine has been since 1hr after bringing her home. Really just wanted backgrounder.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It works flawlessly and doesn't affect the battery life at all, because 99% of the time flash isn't being loaded.

it does lower battery life, it not something people just think it does, its a fact.

It only lowers the battery life when its being used watching a video or playing a game, which is common sense. When you are just browsing the web, it has ZERO effect on battery life when you set it to "on demand". Its a perfect implementation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSXW1hZ3HqU&feature=player_embedded#!

In the first half of that video he shows what the "On-Demand" feature does. Its perfect.

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
In the first half of that video he shows what the "On-Demand" feature does. Its perfect.

Dont really want to burst your bubble, but that on-demand feature is part of the android web browser and it is for setting all installed plug-ins to be on-demand not just flash. android allows and expects to have plugins added. safari has no plugin support as far as the end user goes, apple doesnt allow it.

safari browser has no browser plugin options for setting things like on-demand.

You could do this once the entire android OS is ported to the iPad like it has been for the iPhone and iPhone 3G.

Last edited:

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Dont really want to burst your bubble, but that on-demand feature is part of the android web browser and it is for setting all installed plug-ins to be on-demand not just flash. android allows and expects to have plugins added. safari has no plugin support as far as the end user goes, apple doesnt allow it.

safari browser has no browser plugin options for setting things like on-demand.

You could do this once the entire android OS is ported to the iPad like it has been for the iPhone and iPhone 3G.

Damn you for being correct.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WTF does running flash have anything to do with viruses? Videos ive seen of it running on iPad is really fast and smooth....and battery life would only be affected while playing flash code (tho I'm not convinced it's as dramatic as mike wants to believe.). Can you please stop posting your reactionary replies to everything.

Most reactions

Latest posts