What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FLAC music on linux server (smb) why is this so hard on ipad?

greenfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My setup: linux server loaded with music (all FLAC) using samba protocol. I own a few apps that do play my music on the server but it's far from perfect. Why can't I play my flac files from a network share and still view them in a nice flow of album art you get from music player within iphone?

Why doesnt itunes support flac or samba, a standard that came out 20 years sgo...

My ipad is not jailbroken, im on the newest apple fw.

Is there a way to solve my mess, an appthat plays flac, supports smb AND displays all albums like lovely album art?

Thank you

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well Greenfish - welcome to the forum! :) Nothing wrong w/ the iPad - the device supports the audio codecs quoted below - if you want a 'lossless' audio file, then you'll need to convert to to AIFF or WAV; if you want a 'storage saving' option, then you'll need to convert to AAC or MP3 (I used the latter on my iPod Touch & iPad). FLAC is a nice free lossless codec and great for digital storage of CDs (if you want to dumped the physical media) but for playback on standard CD players - well, a major problem? Good luck - Dave

• Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
  • Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
  • User-configurable maximum volume limit

OP
greenfish

greenfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well Greenfish - welcome to the forum! :) Nothing wrong w/ the iPad - the device supports the audio codecs quoted below - if you want a 'lossless' audio file, then you'll need to convert to to AIFF or WAV; if you want a 'storage saving' option, then you'll need to convert to AAC or MP3 (I used the latter on my iPod Touch & iPad). FLAC is a nice free lossless codec and great for digital storage of CDs (if you want to dumped the physical media) but for playback on standard CD players - well, a major problem? Good luck - Dave

Thank you for the warm welcome sir!

Alas i'm not looking for a way to store my digital media on my idevice. Instead i'm after a streaming service. It took me awhile but I finally found an almost perfect solution. I'm using subsonic on my linux server and isub (ipad) client to stream my flac rips. Apple would make a fortune if they made the ipad default music player accept streaming services/coverflow instead of the prison app we have now.

Thanks anyways for trying to help me!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome sir!

Alas i'm not looking for a way to store my digital media on my idevice. Instead i'm after a streaming service. It took me awhile but I finally found an almost perfect solution. I'm using subsonic on my linux server and isub (ipad) client to stream my flac rips. Apple would make a fortune if they made the ipad default music player accept streaming services/coverflow instead of the prison app we have now.

Hi again Greenfish - sorry about my misunderstanding of your needs w/ the FLAC files - obviously I thought that you wanted to 'load' the music onto the iPad - BUT, appears that you have found a great solution - I'll have to take a look @ the app myself! Thanks - :)

Most reactions

Latest posts