What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First time potential jailbreaker with a few questions

dpizzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered, but I didn't see it. I am interested in jailbreaking my iPad, and possibly my iPod touch as well. I already downloaded the spirit jailbreak on my mac, but haven't done the actual jailbreak yet. What I am trying to find out is what precautions do I need to take in the form of backup and security before or after i download spirit onto my devices. Thanks.

Also, if a mod can please edit my thread title as it is obviously foolish. That's what I get for not paying attention :) thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Backup first!!!
Connect to iTunes, right click on the iPad symbol in the left frame, create the backup.

Shut down iTunes, and leave the iPad connected.

Start Spirit, click "jailbreak"

That's it.

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack the original poster's thread with another question, but I think this is more related to his thread than mine. I see a lot of things about backing up "SHSH blobs" before jailbreaking on some other sites. It seems to say that I can't restore my iPad unless I back it up. I might be reading it wrong or misunderstanding. I am having some WiFi issues so I want to be sure I can return it for another if I need to :) :ipad-keyboard:

P.S. Thank you for your reply on my thread kheldour :) You must smell nice, being from Cologne and all

Mmm I think I figured it out. SHSH is in case your device is updated, so you can always go back to 3.2. I hope that's right

Last edited:

prince786

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1 post - 1 author - Last post: 4 hours ago
Sorry if this has been covered, but I didn't see it. I am interested in jailbreaking my iPad, and possibly my iPod touch as well. I already downloaded.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you do if the reason you're considering jailbreak is that iTunes takes DAYS to backup 8GB?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Make sure you install openssh after you jailbreak and change the default password. If not some apps will install it for you because they require it and leave your device open to be hacked by anyone.

mk1151

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look in this forum under the sticky thread - there is a pretty good "how to" post that explains much of this, but here are the highlights:

- First, be prepared to loose everything on your iPad (however, if before you jailbreak, you backup your info, you can restore). Not saying this will happen, but it might.

- Second, everytime Apple comes out with a firmware update, you'll loose your jailbreak and all the apps. That's why SHSH Blobs are important - they "authorize" your iPad to run specific firmware revisions.
Cydia has a built-in SHSH Blob backup utility. By doing this, you can run older versions of iPad firmware that are jailbroken. In time when the newer firmware has been jailbroken you can update then and re-jailbreak then restore, and backup you SHSH Blobs again.

Once you jailbreak, within Cydia you'll see a "make my life easier" button. Clicking that will automatically backup your blobs on Cydia's server.
- Third, change your passwords! There are two accounts (like a Linux/Unix computer) that have default passwords on them, "root" (the super user of the system with permissions to do everything including wipe your device and copy all data), and "mobile" (additional account with access permissions to your file system). By default, these accounts have the same password on every iPhone, iPad, and iPod globally (which means everyone/anyone can get into your device and mess with it). This is one of the most significant dangers for novice jailbreakers.

Look in this post: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2855-ok-i-downloaded-spirit.html

At response #8 for details on how to change your passwords.

So, in summary:
- Jailbreaking can be "cool" - but check the apps out there by Googleing "Cydia Apps" or "Top Cydia apps for iPad", etc, etc. If you see stuff you can't live without, go ahead. If not, don't bother jailbreaking. Not all iPhone/iPod jailbreak apps work on iPad, some of them will tank your iPad and you'll have to restore it.

- You might be in for a rough ride. If anything goes wrong, Apple won't help, and if they somehow detect that you jailbroke your iPad (even if it doesn't look jailbroken), no warranty, no service.

- Keep in mind that with every release of software from Apple, you won't be able to upgrade until/unless a newer jailbreak is released

- Change your passwords immediately

- Lastly, be familiar with the recovery procedure detailed here (just in case): http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/2987-how-put-your-ipad-into-recovery-mode.html

OP
D

dpizzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look in this forum under the sticky thread - there is a pretty good "how to" post that explains much of this, but here are the highlights:

- First, be prepared to loose everything on your iPad (however, if before you jailbreak, you backup your info, you can restore). Not saying this will happen, but it might.

- Second, everytime Apple comes out with a firmware update, you'll loose your jailbreak and all the apps. That's why SHSH Blobs are important - they "authorize" your iPad to run specific firmware revisions.
Cydia has a built-in SHSH Blob backup utility. By doing this, you can run older versions of iPad firmware that are jailbroken. In time when the newer firmware has been jailbroken you can update then and re-jailbreak then restore, and backup you SHSH Blobs again.

Once you jailbreak, within Cydia you'll see a "make my life easier" button. Clicking that will automatically backup your blobs on Cydia's server.
- Third, change your passwords! There are two accounts (like a Linux/Unix computer) that have default passwords on them, "root" (the super user of the system with permissions to do everything including wipe your device and copy all data), and "mobile" (additional account with access permissions to your file system). By default, these accounts have the same password on every iPhone, iPad, and iPod globally (which means everyone/anyone can get into your device and mess with it). This is one of the most significant dangers for novice jailbreakers.

Look in this post: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2855-ok-i-downloaded-spirit.html

So, in summary:
- Jailbreaking can be "cool" - but check the apps out there by Googleing "Cydia Apps" or "Top Cydia apps for iPad", etc, etc. If you see stuff you can't live without, go ahead. If not, don't bother jailbreaking. Not all iPhone/iPod jailbreak apps work on iPad, some of them will tank your iPad and you'll have to restore it.

- You might be in for a rough ride. If anything goes wrong, Apple won't help, and if they somehow detect that you jailbroke your iPad (even if it doesn't look jailbroken), no warranty, no service.

- Keep in mind that with every release of software from Apple, you won't be able to upgrade until/unless a newer jailbreak is released

- Lastly, be familiar with the recovery procedure detailed here (just in case): http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/2987-how-put-your-ipad-into-recovery-mode.html

Thanks you very much for the thorough response and links to other helpful threads. Much appreciated. I'll probably tackle the jailbreak this weekend.

60DegreeVVT

iPF Noob
Reaction score

So, in summary:

This post was very helpful but it does not work on my ipad.

i downloaded Terminal and when i launch it it just crashes... Any help?

Thank You

Most reactions