What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First time in the wild... Some thoughts...

Ron_L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm taking my iPad on it's first business trip this week. I though it would be fun, if not interesting to keepna log of the experience and my thoughts.

Day one:
I pulled the iPad out in the limo to the airport to check an email and itnstarted a nice conversation with the youngnladybshring the car with me. She had been silent until then. I had no issues with security at O'Hare. I left it in my bag and the TSA screener didn't say anything. At the United Red Carpet Club I had a small issue connecting to the T-Mobile supplied wifi network. The iPad detected it automatically and seemed to connect and brought up the login web page, but then the wifi connection dropped. I treid to connect again from the Setting page and the same thing happened. I looked at the network details for the network and selected Forget this network and tried again and it connected and stayed connected and has been solid ever since.

In the Red Carpet Club I have had three conversations that either began with "is the the iPad?" or "what is that?" I resisted the smart a$$ answers and talked to some very nice people for a few minutes.

More to follow later.

avspatti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone else gone through security with the iPad? I am flying in June and certainly want to know what the procedure is. Thanks.

Gillette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone else gone through security with the iPad? I am flying in June and certainly want to know what the procedure is. Thanks.

I flew out of Chicago Midway and Washington Dulles last week. I left my Ipad in its carrying case....no problems.

0002S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using the ipad as a business tool since the day I got it. I've found that it's the best little consumption/presentation tool for what I do. I leave the laptop in the hotel or office depending on what I am doing.

Keynotes works well once you build the presentation to it's capabilities. Numbers is great for working with basic spreadsheets. I don't use notes that much. GoodReader does everything else with .pdf files. Email management works like a "champ".

Works for me and it engages conversations with customers. Next up is a pico projector.

winwaed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.geowebguru.com
We'll see what happens when we fly to Costa Rica on Friday with the students. We take a lot of tech gear with us - our carry on usually includes laptops, Trimble field computer, digital SLR+lenses. We usually take the Trimble out but the wife's Kindle usually stays packed away.

Combined with the thread above, I think this is more evidence that taking the laptops out doesn't achieve much.

Richard

Yokoboji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flew out of Sioux Falls, South Dakota and Denver ..... Both times had to take my iPad out of it's case and place it in a separate bin ..... TSA, obviously didn't get the memo at these two airports

OP
R

Ron_L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TSA at O'Hare is normally pretty strict, so I was expecting to have to take it out of the bag, so I was pleasantly surprised.

On the plane I surfed using 3G until the doors closed then I put it in airplane mode and shut it down for takeoff. Once is was OK to use approved electronics I pullednit out and watched part of a movienthat I had ripped earlier in the week. I flipped my Eco Vue case into an 'A' shape and stood it on the try table. No problems even with moderate turbulence.

At the hotel things started to fall apart. I didn't choose the hotel and it turns out that there is no wireless in the rooms. It's pretty rare that I end up in a hotel without wireless and I don't have a travel wireless router so I'll just use 3G in the room. The restaurant and bar area does have wireless so I brought the iPad with me to dinner. Unfortunately, received the "Unable to connect to <SSID>" message when trying to connect to the hotel wireless. I looked for troubleshooting tips and tried everything but cannot connect. I tried with my iPhone and received the same message there. I didn't bring my MBA with me so I don't know if it will connect or not. I'll try that tomorrow.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i never had a problem with the tsa people about the unit ..the only time i ever took it out of the case was the first week i had it and it was more i think the people never seen one was looking it over fact .. but since then no problems with tsa people ..

OP
R

Ron_L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a chance to try to connect to the hotel wireless this morning from my MBA this morning and had no problems. There are three other iPads in the group that I am with and none of them can connect to that wireless network. I'll dig into it if I have time.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts