What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fine tipped stylus?

gypsywitch85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an affordable fine tipped stylus available that has the palm recognition? Recently got my iPad Air, and would love to use it drawing tattoos for my customers. Would be much easier than on paper and corrections would be so much cleaner. Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Notability app has a magnifier and I find I can make some pretty small and accurate drawings using that feature.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are wanting a stylus with true pen-like response, it does not yet exist.

The zoom feature in Penultimate is nice too, though the app is not nearly as feature rich as Notability. Depending on what you want to do that simplicity can be a good thing. It's good enough that a standard (fat) stylus creates decent writing.

Evernote sells the Adonit Jot Script; however it's not for everyone. I think it works fine with Penultimate, others consider it an across the board failure. The technology that allows a fine tipped stylus is far from perfected.

In my opinion it is entirely unsatisfactory for anything but writing. Slight variances in accuracy don't affect the legibility of writing, much, and can be compensated for. Drawing, however, is another beast.

There is at least one Kickstarter in progress for a stylus similar to the Jot Script. Delivery is likely to be months, if not a year or more away; and there will be no telling how effective the technology will be. Sorry, I don't have the link handy.

Last edited:
OP
G

gypsywitch85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We'll that sucks. Guess I'll be selling this iPad Air soon then. The fat tipped pens suck. Used them with android before and makes me feel like I'm writing with a fat pencil for a little kid. Thanks though.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If writing with a stylus is your primary use for a tablet, then yes, the iPad is not the best choice. They don't come with a stylus because they are are not designed to be used with one. Users being users, we sometime want one anyway.

Personally, every time I try a stylus I end up going back to using my finger, even for drawing apps. Fifty years of experience tells me that I need a stylus to draw or write. Four years of iPad use tells me that I'd probably be happy without a stylus if I hadn't spent fifty years using one. :)

Do I still want a fine tipped stylus that works just like a pen? Yes. But not enough to give up my iPad. Other devices like the Surface Pro and Galaxy Note are not appealing enough as platforms for me to migrate just for a good stylus. But if an accurate fine-tipped stylus is your 'most important" feature; those are your best bet.

Most reactions

Latest posts