What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Files Connect

Boblins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Am lloking for a reliable and easy to use file transfer application in which to access my PC via the IPAD from anywhere.
I have read some good reviews about the "Files Connect" application. Does anyboday have any others they can share or woudl suggest are better then Files Connect?

OP
B

Boblins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for this,but unless I am reading this wrong it is more about connecting via iTunes. What i am hoping to do is connect to my computer at home via the Internet on my iPad whilst being overseas.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP, please describe more fully, what it is that you want to do remotely. And, "file transfer" and "remote access" are really two different concepts. Thus, the need for you to tell us what you actually have in mind to do on your computer/iPad.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

edjrwinnt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Am lloking for a reliable and easy to use file transfer application in which to access my PC via the IPAD from anywhere.
I have read some good reviews about the "Files Connect" application. Does anyboday have any others they can share or woudl suggest are better then Files Connect?

Files Connect does everything I want it to do for file access. It lists all my servers automatically including my Mac Server and my WHS 2011 Server. I tried ezShare and it didn't work as well for me.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I remember reading that one of the remote access apps also supported file transfer, but I'm darned if I can remember which one.

A workaround, if you only need the occasional file, would be to use a remote access app like Splashtop. With DropBox running on the PC you could drop the needed files into the folder then use the DropBox app on the iPad to download them once they were synced.

OP
B

Boblins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, sure. I spend a bit of time tavelling and am based in Australia. I spend a lot of time in Singapore and what I would like to do is connect to by computer (Windows 7) at home wirelessly and access all folders and files on my computer.
I sometimes have the need to access files on my home computer and thus would also like to have the ability to download files from my computer in Australia to my IPAD while in Singapore (or anywhere).

Hope this helps explain how I would use it.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Boblins,

Probably the easiest and most reliable method would be to setup your home computer with FTP server software, and then start the server when you go afar. I have a great FTP client app on my iPad (FTPOnThe Go) and have run server software also (in the past, on a personal computer). There's little expertise required. Those two services (program/app) would do exactly what you describe.

The home computer would also need to be running a service that connects with a Dynamic DNS provision service, which keeps track of your Dynamic IP - giving you access to that computer when and if the IP address is changed by your Internet Provider. (That being if you don't already have a static IP addrtess.) That's also a very simple matter to setup and maintain. DynDNS.com has a free service.

Just one suggestion, and I'm sure there are others.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem running a rote PC as the file server is lockups, and having ti leave it on.

If you don't need remote desktop I'd suggest use a cloud service and store copies of your directories their, you pay 'rent' dependent on overall size.

or get an NAS (Network Attached Storage) hard drive. I got a 3TB seagate as there is no ongoing costs, but works much the same as a cloud service.

Either option is a great way to expand the limited memory 'virtually especially the smaller iPads or iPhones.

Most reactions