What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

File size of Saved pics iPad Retina 3 vs IPad mini 1st gen

PRSS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
I am just wondering if the file sizes of saved pictures from Facebook or such websites by press holding the finger & tapping the save image button would have different file sizes in 1024x768 resolution iPad & an iPad Retina (2048x1536) i.e. will the lower resolution of the older iPad save with a smaller file size or will it save it as the same size as the Retina version? If the old iPad saved a smaller file size then I get to store more pictures on the 16GB iPad. If so, I am wondering if I should get a used older version of iPad (1024x768) to store more pictures as I have run out of space with my iPad 3 Retina and I have no inclination to buy a new one with larger storage.

Thanks in advance
PRSS

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would expect the file size to be the same, as the image file from the website is not based on screen resolution of the viewer, but the actual file size residing on the website's server.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The file size of an image depends on the type of file (PNG, GIF, JPEG, etc.), the amount of compression used when saving it, the content of the image, and the number of pixels in the image. The size of the viewing screen has no bearing at all, and the saved images will be identical.

Exception: if you save an image by making a screenshot rather than simply downloading it. In that case, the Retina screen has four times the number of pixels, and the resulting screen image will be approximately four times the file size. Sometimes, brute force (a screen shot) is the only way to save an image from a website.

OP
PRSS

PRSS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for your helpful hints

Most reactions

Latest posts