What's new
Apple iPad Forum ๐ŸŽ

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Family History

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A thread has been running on family history under iPad Apps - RootsMagic 4.

Two of us are exchanging messages. I hoped other forum users would join in, but not yet. This underlines my feeling that the thread is wrong.

I will copy my latest posts into this thread.

Hopefully others will join in. Family History / Genealogy can be addictive. It's great to discover where we come from.

Last edited:
OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You may be interested in seeing what your family members' occupations were.

This is a part of the richness of family history discoveries.

Try these links.

http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/index.html

http://www.familytreeservice.co.uk/ and go to census occupation

I hope I have whetted your appetite. It would be great to see more forum members posting to this thread. Perhaps the later messages in this thread could be transferred to a New thread titled "Family History". ๎ข ๎
--
Richard Brown
Bromley, Kent
U.K.
Member of: -
E. Surrey Family History Society. ) And in
http://www.eastsurreyfhs.org.uk/ ) very
Lincolnshire Family History Society. ) good
http://www.lincolnshirefhs.org.uk/ ) company.

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Alternative said:
I generally use the iPads resident Notes program to keep my research notes for any given trip. When researching I can multitask between the Notes program, GedView, and Penultimate (for keeping my own handwritten notes.) By giving my individual notes the title of the person I am researching and adding what I need to study in those notes I can easily scroll between names inside the app.

I loaded GedView yesterday. Loaded on my family tree with no trouble. It's a super programme. It took me a little while to sort out how to enter a marriage (via the families screen). I put in William and Kate's marriage as a try out.

It's a shame GedView doesn't have searches by occupation or other term or years.

I'm off to a postcard fair in London today, to search for ephemera related to some sporting ancestors.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
The Alternative said:
I generally use the iPads resident Notes program to keep my research notes for any given trip. When researching I can multitask between the Notes program, GedView, and Penultimate (for keeping my own handwritten notes.) By giving my individual notes the title of the person I am researching and adding what I need to study in those notes I can easily scroll between names inside the app.

I loaded GedView yesterday. Loaded on my family tree with no trouble. It's a super programme. It took me a little while to sort out how to enter a marriage (via the families screen). I put in William and Kate's marriage as a try out.

It's a shame GedView doesn't have searches by occupation or other term or years.

I'm off to a postcard fair in London today, to search for ephemera related to some sporting ancestors.

I should also note that I have a Kensington iPad cover with the connected bluetooth keyboard which comes in handy when doing research.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
You may be interested in seeing what your family members' occupations were.

This is a part of the richness of family history discoveries.

Try these links.

Index of Old Occupations

Welcome to Family Tree Service. We can research your UK family history and create a tailor-made family tree based on your ancestry and genealogy. | www.familytreeservice.co.uk and go to census occupation

I hope I have whetted your appetite. It would be great to see more forum members posting to this thread. Perhaps the later messages in this thread could be transferred to a New thread titled "Family History". ๎ข ๎
--
Richard Brown
Bromley, Kent
U.K.
Member of: -
E. Surrey Family History Society. ) And in
East Surrey Family History Society ) very
Lincolnshire Family History Society. ) good
Lincolnshire Family History Society ) company.

Invaluable Family tree web sites include:

International Research

www.Ancestry.com (Subscription service)

FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records LDS (Free)

U.S. Research

Civil War Soldiers and Sailor System U.S. Civil War Soldiers

Search - BLM GLO Records U.S. Land Patents

Nationwide Gravesite Locator Veteran Graves

Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records Find a Grave

Free Genealogy and Family History Online - The USGenWeb Project US GenWeb

There are many others but these are the ones I use most often.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
๎€ˆ ๎”™ ๎”˜ Vintage photographs are fascinating. ๎”˜๎”™๎€ˆ There are well known sites, such as Frith, which are a great source of information.

I have just been looking at a site which is a bit like a swap shop - a place through which lost photos and cards can be reunited with their families. http://www.reminiscene.co.uk/index.htm

It's great. ๎Ÿ๎Ÿ๎Ÿ ๎—

Last edited:

Valkrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have recently got an iPad and am now looking for a suitable app. I found this thread and one other where genealogy and Family History are discussed. I have seen mention of Gedview, Families and Roots Magic. I have been able to find the first two on the app store but not the last one, is it still available? I use PAF for my PC storage and so Families would be less that ideal I presume. Is there a detailed run down of each of the programmes anywhere with their features and failings?

TIA

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Two of us are exchanging messages. I hoped other forum users would join in, but not yet. This ubderlines my feeling that the thread is wrong.

Hopefully others will join in. Family History / Genealogy can be addictive. It's great to discover where we come from.

Short story long, my drivers license, credit cards, and exclusive private club membership cards were stolen. I had to replace them and without explaining here just how impossible it can be do replace a SS card/DL, I finally had to find my original birth certificate. I did not find it, but I did find certified copies.

Some time later, I found the original stone tablet and in looking it over, I discovered my mother had two kids prior to those she had with my dad.

I did not know she had these children. I was stunned that she had kids I have never known anything about.

I asked my brother and he knew about these errant children all along. He tried to ask our uncle about them. Stunned silence; he would not discuss the matter. "Ask your mom" is all he would say. My brother once asked our dad and he was met with the same reply. He definitely did not want to talk about the matter.

Genealogy is interesting. Sometimes, it leaves you with lots of questions and few answers. Here in Utah, we have many great resources for such work.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

I am still trying to prove I am decended from Vikings.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bob Maxey said:
Short story long, my drivers license, credit cards, and exclusive private club membership cards were stolen. I had to replace them and without explaining here just how impossible it can be do replace a SS card/DL, I finally had to find my original birth certificate. I did not find it, but I did find certified copies.

Some time later, I found the original stone tablet and in looking it over, I discovered my mother had two kids prior to those she had with my dad.

I did not know she had these children. I was stunned that she had kids I have never known anything about.

I asked my brother and he knew about these errant children all along. He tried to ask our uncle about them. Stunned silence; he would not discuss the matter. "Ask your mom" is all he would say. My brother once asked our dad and he was met with the same reply. He definitely did not want to talk about the matter.

Genealogy is interesting. Sometimes, it leaves you with lots of questions and few answers. Here in Utah, we have many great resources for such work.

What a surprise that must have been Bob!!

I have my mothers family tree going back 150 years, English, Irish, Scottish, Danish. My great Aunt has a newspaper clipping of when my family first came to Australia as free settlers. I have my fathers side going back 400+ years, a shame it's all mapped out in Chinese though. But it is all very interesting!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

kyusho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have recently got an iPad and am now looking for a suitable app. I found this thread and one other where genealogy and Family History are discussed. I have seen mention of Gedview, Families and Roots Magic. I have been able to find the first two on the app store but not the last one, is it still available? I use PAF for my PC storage and so Families would be less that ideal I presume. Is there a detailed run down of each of the programmes anywhere with their features and failings?

TIA

Hi there.
I have been using the Family Tree app. It is full genealogy program with many features.
I currently have in it about 500 persons and it handles them easily.

Pekka

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Valkrider said:

TIA

Hi there Valkrider. I am currently using Roots Magic version 4, which is excellent. Try searching for "S and N genealogy supplies"

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bob Maxey said:

Hi Bob, it's great to see you here on this thread, which seems to be waking up after a long slumber. (The Viking has stirred?!<VBG>).

Yes, there are skeletons in some of our histories. I have one from the 1850s. I was contacted a couple of months ago by the friend of a family branch which I knew nothing of. The fact that this branch descended from a male living in the late 19thC knocked a family tale developed by my Canadian cousins. They believed that all the brothers of the family emigrated to canada leaving their sisters behind in Lincolnshire.

It's all most fascinating and you need to prove out stories etc.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Bob, it's great to see you here on this thread, which seems to be waking up after a long slumber. (The Viking has stirred?!<VBG>).

Yes, there are skeletons in some of our histories. I have one from the 1850s. I was contacted a couple of months ago by the friend of a family branch which I knew nothing of. The fact that this branch descended from a male living in the late 19thC knocked a family tale developed by my Canadian cousins. They believed that all the brothers of the family emigrated to canada leaving their sisters behind in Lincolnshire.

It's all most fascinating and you need to prove out stories etc.

We all seem to be proud of our families, but I suspect many of us have no shortage of evil in our past.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bob Maxey said:
We all seem to be proud of our families, but I suspect many of us have no shortage of evil in our past.

But not so many wealthy ones. Although, the fairly light-weight TV series, Heir Hunters, hints that lots of us have untapped inheritances etc!

Joyntechnology

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:

Two of us are exchanging messages. I hoped other forum users would join in, but not yet. This ubderlines my feeling that the thread is wrong.

Am I in the right place ? I searched for your Family History thread. I am hooked on building family trees for my husband and for me. I've already found "cousins" I didn't know I had and have communicated directly with two in Germany! I've also traveled to have lunch with two that have been avid collectors of documents. Because my father died when I was a teenager and his remaining family lived far, I didn't know much about my roots. I've since learned that an autoimmune illness that I have was inherited!
The advantage of an iPad is that you can actually collect data at a site and attach it to your tree. Last week I was in cemeteries taking pics of graves and this week talking to aging relatives while showing them the trees. Already picking up anecdotes that add a dimension I never thought possible!

Most reactions

Latest posts