What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Failed Bluetooth pairing on iPad air2

kene

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have a new iPad Air2 to replace my aging iPad 2. I have an Altec Lansing Mini Life Jacket speaker system that pairs easily with old iPad and my iPhone. The new Air2 shows the device as available to pair with, but after some time displays a message that it is unable to connect. A Bluetooth keyboard I got with the new iPad, pairs with no problem. Don't know how to fix this or even what would be fixed. The speaker turns on and announces it is paired, but I suspect it is just finding the iPhone, the keyboard or th old iPad if any of them are within 30 ft. or less.

Any ideas? Nothing available from Altec.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As long as it is paired and active on another device, it probably won't pair with another. So try turning off Bluetooth on yoru iPhone in settings, then trying to pair on the iPad again.

Hold in mind that form that point on which device it pairs with is going to be first come first serve. There will be no predicting which device (iPad or iPhone) that it connects with if both are in range and Bluetooth turned on.

I had this issue all the time with one of my Bluetooth speakers. The best soluiton is ti simply pick the one device you want the speaker to pair with, and forget the speaker on the other devices. However, I never did this. I used the speaker rarely enough that I just fiddled with the settings (turned off Bluetooth on the unwanted device) each time it didn't go where I wanted it too.

Now, with the iPad Pro it's no longer an issue. The speakers on the Pro are good enough.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No Shit Sherlock

Well, I hope that you know what this term means? :rolleyes: Just one of many similar definitions quoted below (Source).

A way of saying " No Duh " or " Obviously " but in a mean kind of way or sarcastically

@ the OP - agree w/ TP about BT pairing - I own two BT soundbars, two portable BT speakers (for 'on the road' mainly), BT headphones, BT keyboard, and two iPads (wife's Mini & my iPad Air 2) - just a couple of examples, the keyboard seems to like to pair w/ my wife's Mini and not my iPad when in a hotel room (just have her turn off BT) and I use one BT soundbar in the basement when exercising listening to music on my iPad, then come upstairs and try to use Spotify on my den BT soundbar and hear the music playing in the basement - so follow the suggestions given - :) Dave

Reaction score
No Shit Sherlock = Thanks Mr Obvious.

That creepy guy stated the obvious.

Well, I hope that you know what this term means? :rolleyes: Just one of many similar definitions quoted below (Source).

@ the OP - agree w/ TP about BT pairing - I own two BT soundbars, two portable BT speakers (for 'on the road' mainly), BT headphones, BT keyboard, and two iPads (wife's Mini & my iPad Air 2) - just a couple of examples, the keyboard seems to like to pair w/ my wife's Mini and not my iPad when in a hotel room (just have her turn off BT) and I use one BT soundbar in the basement when exercising listening to music on my iPad, then come upstairs and try to use Spotify on my den BT soundbar and hear the music playing in the basement - so follow the suggestions given - :) Dave

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No Shit Sherlock = Thanks Mr Obvious.

@TheGuyWhoCantThinkOfAName: Yes, we know. The point is that (1) we are a bit more polite in this forum and don't go commenting sarcastically on others post/attempts to help others and (2) just because the solution/answer is obvious to you does not mean it is obvious to the original poster, which is [probably] why they posted their question.

Please be a bit more circumspect in your replies. Thanks.

Marilyn
Administrator, iPad Forums

Reaction score
Says the one with Mickey as avatar.

( ¬‿¬) he he he ...

@TheGuyWhoCantThinkOfAName: Yes, we know. The point is that (1) we are a bit more polite in this forum and don't go commenting sarcastically on others post/attempts to help others and (2) just because the solution/answer is obvious to you does not mean it is obvious to the original poster, which is [probably] why they posted their question.

Please be a bit more circumspect in your replies. Thanks.

Marilyn
Administrator, iPad Forums

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Creepy guy? Where's the creepy guy? You mean that handsome fellow above?
Why, I should be that handsome!

Most reactions

Latest posts