What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facts R Fun

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In 1981, 1 GB of storage cost 300,000 $. In 2012, the price was at 0,10 $. Now it's 0,04 $.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Every 2.5 seconds, a jar of Nutella is sold globally. Stacked up, the jars with Nutella produced each year would build 22,000 Big Bens.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
English physicist Joseph John Thomson was awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics for discovering the electron.

His son, George Paget Thomson, received the Nobel Prize for Physics for showing that electrons are waves.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In 1997, three men from Yemen sued NASA for invading Mars. They said that they had inherited the planet from their ancestors, 3000 years ago.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Johanna,
Your new signature is my favorite so far! That's a fact!

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In 1981, 1 GB of storage cost 300,000 $. In 2012, the price was at 0,10 $. Now it's 0,04 $.
HOLY SMOKES JOHANNA; That truly amazed me! people think nothing of a gigabyte nowadays everyone is looking forward to a terrabyte.
Imagine, Gates can put his Grandson or nephew on his lap and say...
" I remember the days when we went fron 1 byte to a kilobyte, the was 1024 ( ?) bytes! And that's all we had to work with....................B.:rolleyes:....
.....G:eek:......and now we have Terabytes! Imagine that!
Thanks for sharing that Johanna. I wonder what percentage of people using some form of a computer know that there one was just a byte!
:D:p I did! Since we are in the fact thread I was pretty sure I heard that the baby boomer group has more power than any other age group in the world at the moment. I could be wrong, I often am.:oops:o_O

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I started out with a Commodore 64 in October 1981, then later on upgraded to an Amiga 2000. I remember the first hard drive I bought for my Amiga, I paid $350 for a used 105 MB Seagate SCSI hard drive. To think that today there are some apps that wouldn't even fit on that drive...and back then I thought I had so much space. My how times have changed.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I started out with a Commodore 64 in October 1981, then later on upgraded to an Amiga 2000. I remember the first hard drive I bought for my Amiga, I paid $350 for a used 105 MB Seagate SCSI hard drive. To think that today there are some apps that wouldn't even fit on that drive...and back then I thought I had so much space. My how times have changed.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Ha! I started out with a C=64 at about the same time as you, and ended up with an Amiga 3000 (I really pinched pennies to get it). The Commodore 64 and 128 were the last computers I completely understood. I had the advanced manuals that revealed every little hardware, firmware, and software detail. The Amiga was hard to give up. I clung to it in hope for almost two years; well after any reasonable person would have admitted that the company and platform were dead.

I still miss them every now and then. It was a fun and exciting time to be a computer hobbyist.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Those were very exciting times! Now things are growing so exponentially fast I don't really get all reved up like I used to, especially with the graphics. :)
We are all here having fun just the same! :D

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Those were very exciting times! Now things are growing so exponentially fast I don't really get all reved up like I used to, especially with the graphics. :)
We are all here having fun just the same! :D

It's just a shift in fun, I think. I used to be excited about the computer itself, and the cool things I could make it do. Now I'm excited about what I can do on the computer (made by others), and the things I can use it for in my life.

dasipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's just a shift in fun, I think. I used to be excited about the computer itself, and the cool things I could make it do. Now I'm excited about what I can do on the computer (made by others), and the things I can use it for in my life.
C-64, VIC-20.....and, lest we forget....the Timex/Sinclair TS1000....the first machine to break the $100 price point (...err, $99.95, IIRC....!!;))
The TS1000 had a "whopping" 16 KB (read KILOBYTES!!!) of on-board memory....and for another ~$100 you could add a 64KB "Memory Pack"!!
I remember the sales person where i bought the TS with Memory Pack.....: "You'll have lots of spare memory with that 64 add-on......!!" :D

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well said, both of you! The two of you above this post. [emoji170][emoji172][emoji171]

:) Peace begins with a smile :)
- Mother Teresa.
iPad 2

Most reactions