What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facetime freezing?

Mark4777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone else having problems with FaceTime? It freezes often when using it. I can hear the other person but can't see them?

mhayslip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a problem with freezing the first time I used it on my iPad. It kept a picture of me frozen on the screen, even when I closed the app and tried to start it again. My frozen pic of me was still there when I tried to use it the next day. My daughter could hear me but not see me, nor I her.

I think I resolved the problem by powering the unit down completely, then starting back up. I've used FaceTime since with zero problems.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is most likely a bandwidth problem. Are you connected by 3G or WiFi? Do you know what sort of data rate you're getting?

If the bandwidth of your link is restricted video is the first to suffer because it's a relatively high 'consumer' of bandwidth, audio less so. It might not be your end of the link that's the problem, though. Is the other party in the call having a similar problem?

Most DSL (cable) broadband are asymmetric - with the upload bandwidth (you to the net) being significantly less than the download bandwidth (net to you). Since, in a video call, the video goes over both an uplink and a downlink, it's usually (though not always by any means) the originating end of the link that's the problem because it has to traverse a lower bandwidth - and thus constrained - section of the overall network that carries the video signal from the other party to your iPad.

Having said this, however, there are several other reasons that might be in play here, so check first to see if the other party is having the same problem.

Don't hesitate to get back to us if the problem persists or recurs.

Tim
Scotland

OP
M

Mark4777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
This is most likely a bandwidth problem. Are you connected by 3G or WiFi? Do you know what sort of data rate you're getting?

If the bandwidth of your link is restricted video is the first to suffer because it's a relatively high 'consumer' of bandwidth, audio less so. It might not be your end of the link that's the problem, though. Is the other party in the call having a similar problem?

Most DSL (cable) broadband are asymmetric - with the upload bandwidth (you to the net) being significantly less than the download bandwidth (net to you). Since, in a video call, the video goes over both an uplink and a downlink, it's usually (though not always by any means) the originating end of the link that's the problem because it has to traverse a lower bandwidth - and thus constrained - section of the overall network that carries the video signal from the other party to your iPad.

Having said this, however, there are several other reasons that might be in play here, so check first to see if the other party is having the same problem.

Don't hesitate to get back to us if the problem persists or recurs.

Tim
Scotland

It seems as though this only happens when I have the photo booth app open as well. I have heard of some other people experiencing the same issues. I am not smart to figure out if it is a bandwidth problem or not. I am lucky if I can figure out how to power this thing up at all. LOL. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought Face time only works on Wifi?

I think apple finally wiser up and changed it. I know it use to be like that at first. Then the jailbreak/Cydia community came out with a hack to make it work on 3G also although the FaceTime experience will probably suffer due to lower bandwidth speeds.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are other video chatting apps u can check out. As I know, because they work with my ipad1. Although the other person can't see me, I can still see and chat with them.
Try out Tango app or the new updated Skype app. Both allow video conferencing. The yahoo app and MSN live app might also but I haven't tested those out yet. Actually Tango works better and better pic quality thn FaceTime, IMO ;-)

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't get face time to work with my daughters iPod touch. :( it fails every time. I can get Skype to work some times.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Facetime works on wifi only, tim might have forgotten ;)

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was on wifi and very close to the router. It's very disappointing because FaceTime is easier for a 7 year old than Skype. :(

PvtMatter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My FaceTime worked on my ipad2 when I first got it. Now the camera freezes on the last scene I was on. I have tried a reboot and am running the latest os update. Any suggestions or should I call for a warranty replacement.

Most reactions

Latest posts