What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facebook is Testing 'Reactions'; a Like/Dislike Button with Even More Emotions

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
engadgetreaction.jpg

Here at Droidforums (and several other sites) we have had a wide range of possible responses to forum posts for some time. Nowadays, you can go well beyond just a "like" or "dislike" functionality, and do it very easily across the web. That's what makes it all the more puzzling that it has taken Facebook so long to implement something beyond a single "Like" button.

It sounds like Zuckerberg and Co. have finally listened to Facebook consumers' complaints about this this issue and are working on a solution. Supposedly Facebook is testing out something called "Reactions," and it will basically be a "like/dislike" series of buttons which will give folks a wide range of emotions to choose from when "grading" a post. Here's a quote with more of the details,

The change is just another way to express your feelings about what friends or family post, but a welcome one, given that not everything shared on the social network is appropriate for a "like". This means even life's less glossy moments can finally have a more suitable response. Good old like remains, of course, but along with icons that show love, laughter, cheeky smiles, shock anger and, well, we're sure there'll be an extensive/ever growing list of options. The ability to "react" with gifs and or emoji has become increasingly common with social platforms and news sites (like Buzzfeed), and in some cases, it's the only way to communicate -- so it's not surprising Facebook is joining in.

The new reactions will apply to user posts and those from "pages" alike, with a breakdown of which responses each missive received. Although in Ad Manager, all reactions will still be considered as a "like" for now. ~ Engadget

It seems like Facebook could have been working on this some time ago, but at least the world's largest Social Network is still evolving.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hm, let's guess.

Like (old generic approval)
Love (much more than merely liked it)
Laugh (hysterically, evidently)
Happy (this makes me happy)
Surprised (shocked, absolutely shocking)
Sad (this is a tear jerker)
Angry (made me mad)

There is no dislike button here. To be fair, Facebook said they were not adding a dislike button. Instead they are experimenting with a wider range of positive (or sympathetic) responses. Can sad or angry be a positive response? Yes. If the point of the post was to convey sad news, or outrage you about some social injustice, then those responses are the positive feedback the poster was after.

This is Facebook's answer to the awkwardness of giving someone a 'like' when they post about a death in the family (or lesser tragedies); as well as the ability make some more nuanced responses of approval.

Is it good? I don't know. There is something to be said for making a person think and type out an appropriate response to a complex issue or tragedy in another person's life. A two second click of empathy lacks conviction. Of course there is nothing preventing those that actually care from doing both. Both would be better than either alone, and I suppose either alone is better than nothing.

As far as there being no Dislike button; I'm of two minds. I'd like a way to curb some of the thoughtless sharing habits many Facebook users exhibit. On the other hand I'm not sure an equally abusable cure would make things better.

A last thought. It will be interesting to see if the Angry icon gets used as Facebook intends, or whether users will hijack it to mean dislike of the poster and/or his behavior and/or the post/share. It would be easy to do, and something that some Facebook users have been clamoring for; not that I think they will like it if they get it. After all, it's the haters that get hated on the most.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I really should not re-read posts I make in the News forum. Inevitably I see some minor (or major) mistake. I can't fix it, and it gnaws away at me for whole seconds; before I move onto the next post. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts