What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facebook Confusion

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just downloaded the free version of Fera to test out. To comment, you press on the status you want to comment on and it brings up several options.

Compared to the recent update to the standard Facebook app, this is very, very slow. I find it kind of busy too. I don't know if you see improvement on that with the paid version or not. But, I do like that you can share status updates and links.

I don't know for sure if I am going to keep it or not. Guess I will play with it for a few days and then decide.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
susanlackey said:
I just downloaded the free version of Fera to test out. To comment, you press on the status you want to comment on and it brings up several options.

Compared to the recent update to the standard Facebook app, this is very, very slow. I find it kind of busy too. I don't know if you see improvement on that with the paid version or not. But, I do like that you can share status updates and links.

I don't know for sure if I am going to keep it or not. Guess I will play with it for a few days and then decide.

I don't follow what you said about commenting.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new Facebook app just got a massive recode and I already found a few bugs. The most annoying one for me is how Facebook likes to compress pictures in messaging.

Sent from K48

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
biobunny said:
The new Facebook app just got a massive recode and I already found a few bugs. The most annoying one for me is how Facebook likes to compress pictures in messaging.

Sent from K48

You know, it really amazes me how crappy the Facebook app really is. And I'm talking about the one made by Facebook itself!

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
why fix something that aint broke? the previous version was just fine. not perfect by a long way, but certainly much better (UI wise) than this version. why muck around????

Last edited by a moderator:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found the prior version virtually unusable. This one still has a few glitches, but it's significantly faster and more robust all the way around.

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just downloaded the app Fera HD for Facebook. I just want let everyone know that at $1.99 it works just great. I know you have to pay for it and you'd rather not. I understand that. But I got to tell you it works great. I would highly recommend it.

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded the paid version of Fera HD as well. For the most part I like it, other than it loads pretty slow. I am enjoying seeing pages I have liked actually show up in my newsfeed, and all the extras you can do with it. I do wish I could hide the sidebar so my newsfeed could have more screen space.

The only thing really holding me back from using it all the time right now is how slow it loads in comparison to the standard Facebook apps recent update.

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really wish there was a way around this. Another reason I will mostly stick with the standard fb app, I hate not seeing some of my friends posts.

Fera v5.2 is ready for download now. Thank you so much for your patience!

Release notes:

• Fera 5.2 supports two ways to tag friends in your post, you can either use tag button to select your friends, or use inline tagging by tapping the @ symbol. However, inline tagging won't work with custom privacy setting & comment.

• NewsFeed now shows more complete posts but it is still affected by privacy settings. These kind of posts will not display on the feed:
- Posts of users that blocked access from apps.
- Post of subscribed users that have privacy settings set to private.
- "Open Graph" posts (activities from games, article read etc…)

• Top News is different from the website. Fera selects posts which have most likes or comments to be displayed on the Top News feed.

• If you want to post your status as Public, you have to make sure to allow that in your settings:
Account Settings > Apps > Fera for iPad > Post on my behalf > set to Public

• Your upload image will be resized if it's larger than 2048px. If you upload/capture photo in order to set Cover Photo/Profile Picture, the image will be resized automatically to the best-fit size. To have full-resolution image in your album, you have to upload it separately.

• Push Notification could take up to a minute to be delivered (and only if the message is unread). You will not receive notifications for Private Message and new friend request, until Facebook supports it in the future.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think people shouldn't abandon the official Facebook app yet, I suggest waiting for a few more updates.

Sent from K48

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
biobunny said:
I think people shouldn't abandon the official Facebook app yet, I suggest waiting for a few more updates.

Sent from K48

Why you say that? Do you know something we don't?

wildsdi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you sync facebook contacts with ipad contacts with the new app? The old one had an option which is missing now.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Knightoftheapp said:
Why you say that? Do you know something we don't?

I've seen rapid app development before. I've literally seen apps going stable in 2 weeks in an open source project (gala window manager to be precise). New apps usually come with a few bugs at start, and usually the developers fix them in a couple of releases. Facebook has to completely stupid to not fix those iPad Facebook specific bugs, and you don't become a billion dollar company by being stupid. Unfortunately though, I do not know anything that the iPF community doesn't know. I'm not a secret facebook developer.

Sent from K48

Most reactions

Latest posts