What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eye-Strain while using iBooks (iStrain?)

Photo1017

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
wjd333.smugmug.com
I've spent hour after hour reading on the iPad, articles, forums and books and have felt no eyestrain whatsoever.
But of course that's jes' me...

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do love the comments about how it's hard to see in the sun. And Bremen said it best with his comment about not having any trees.

I would get eye strain reading anything in direct sunlight.

On topic though, I have no problems at all reading, I usually use black background at night too.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since I have never read a book in direct sunlight, and my curiosity was stirred by this thread, I grabbed a printed book and went outside in direct sunlight.
Now I know why I never read in direct sunlight. Even with sunglasses it was very difficult and straining. My eyes begged for shade.

Last edited:

JC-ins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a crazy eye strain during the first couple days that I used the iPad to read my ebooks. What I did was to lower the brightness all the way to the lowest level -- this seemed to eliminate any eye strain I had in the beginning.

Btw thanks for the heads up on Stanza. I'm testing it out later tonight for its night mode function -- I might just end up using it as my main reading app as opposed to GoodReader.

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Kindle also and that's where I do most of my reading. My eyes do not like backlit screens after a while. I've had this issue before after staring at a computer screen for a long time. I did not buy the iPad for ereader purposes.

Mexicat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have eye strain but I sure have neck pain and wrist pain........but I still love reading on my iPad!

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I had a crazy eye strain during the first couple days that I used the iPad to read my ebooks. What I did was to lower the brightness all the way to the lowest level -- this seemed to eliminate any eye strain I had in the beginning.

Btw thanks for the heads up on Stanza. I'm testing it out later tonight for its night mode function -- I might just end up using it as my main reading app as opposed to GoodReader.

Stanza is my fav for ePubs, but I still like Goodreader for PDF's.......

Autcally one of the greatest things about reading on the iPad are all the great reading options !!!

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Kindle can be used outdoors in bright sunlight. The iPad is next to useless in bright sun. I know that some dispute my finding, but I can't practically use the iPad outdoors where the Kindle excels.

Right on FIGMO, I removed the whole Ibook from my Ipad because of that feature, I like to read more so when I'm am flying, and since the wife loves her Kindle and wont share I went and bought one last week, for myself, you just cant beat them for a reading device.

Al.

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Kindle can be used outdoors in bright sunlight. The iPad is next to useless in bright sun. I know that some dispute my finding, but I can't practically use the iPad outdoors where the Kindle excels.

Right on FIGMO, I removed the whole Ibook from my Ipad because of that feature, I like to read more so when I'm am flying, and since the wife loves her Kindle and wont share I went and bought one last week, for myself, you just cant beat them for a reading device.

Al.

Just to add, I think the Ipad would be good for books that have pics or for textbooks with pictures/diagrams.(also enjoy the USA Today app) But for novels, it's my Kindle all the way.

DCD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Purple spots after using ipad!

Hi there. I've had my ipad for a few months now and i've noticed something strange.When i look at anything grey after ipad usage, i see purple spots in the center of my vision. First time i noticed was when i looked at my grey cat. But after a conversation with a friend i realised it was probably my eyes playing tricks on me. Sometimes it wouldn't happen, so i've pinpointed it down to ipad usage. I have my brightness set to auto. Does anyone else have this problem? Perhaps it's time i got my eyes checked out.:confused:

Nancybout

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DCD said:
Hi there. I've had my ipad for a few months now and i've noticed something strange.When i look at anything grey after ipad usage, i see purple spots in the center of my vision. First time i noticed was when i looked at my grey cat. But after a conversation with a friend i realised it was probably my eyes playing tricks on me. Sometimes it wouldn't happen, so i've pinpointed it down to ipad usage. I have my brightness set to auto. Does anyone else have this problem? Perhaps it's time i got my eyes checked out.:confused:

You may have eye floaters or migraines coming....how are you now?..

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Nancybout

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DCD said:

I recommend e ink for novels.Once in a while illl use Apps but e readers w e ink is really the way to go

DCD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DCD said:

I recommend e ink for novels.Once in a while illl use Apps but e readers w e ink is really the way to go

I'm still getting the purple dots but I've just ordered a kindle 3 so hopefully that will eliminate the problem. All i have to do now is get my ebooks converted to .mobi format. Thanks for the advice.;)

Most reactions

Latest posts