What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Explanation Please: Calls on iPhone ring in on iPad. Why?

jp91306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When someone calls my iPhone 5s, the call also rings on my iPad (which seems to be Model MD368LL/A...don't ask what generation, I have no idea.) I can actually answer the call from the iPad, and, as far as I know, it has no phone IN it.

It is connected via wireless to our local router. It has a cellular DATA plan, which is turned off except when I need that access.

As far as I KNOW, I didn't set the iPad to receive calls--it certainly doesn't have the ability to make them.

Why is this happening?

Thank you.

jp

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When someone calls my iPhone 5s, the call also rings on my iPad (which seems to be Model MD368LL/A...don't ask what generation, I have no idea.) I can actually answer the call from the iPad, and, as far as I know, it has no phone IN it.

It is connected via wireless to our local router. It has a cellular DATA plan, which is turned off except when I need that access.

As far as I KNOW, I didn't set the iPad to receive calls--it certainly doesn't have the ability to make them.

Why is this happening?

Thank you.

jp
This is a new feature of iOS 8. If your iPad and iPhone are both updated to iOS 8 and are on the same WiFi network, phone calls to your iPhone can be answered on your iPad. You can also make phone calls from your iPad by going to your contacts list and choosing who you wish to call.

Here is the Apple page that explains the feature, called Handoff. https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/continuity/

If you have a Mac computer on OSX Yosemite you can also send and receive phone calls via your iPhone. The only requirement is that the devices be on the same WiFi network. I've used this feature myself on several occasions.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's one of the new features in iOS 8. As long as your phone is in range, you can make and receive calls on either the iPad or iPhone. When OS X Yosemite comes along, you'll be able to do the same on the computer; provided you have a Mac.

You can turn the feature on/off in the Facetime settings on your iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
According to Apple's support site, Handoff can be used on iPad 4, Air and both minis. If the OP's information is right, that's a 3rd generation iPad, where it shouldn't work.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6337
Since the OP says he's received phone calls on his iPad, he must have an iPad 4 at least. The model number must be wrong, then.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interestingly, I have an ipad2 which I've reverted back to ios7 from ios8, and whilst on 8 I was receiving incoming calls on my ipad from my iPhone 5c which is also on ios8!

According to what's been said, that shouldn't have been possible!

Steve

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I found this out the other day - you CAN turn off the iPad ringing when the phone rings.

To do: go to the FaceTime section in your Settings app and ensure the "iPhone Cellular Calls" line is OFF.

I also turned this on on my phone, so I don't know if doing it on the iPad alone will do.

Still, now? When my phone rings, it's just the phone. Which works for me and I hope works for you.

Marilyn

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I found this out the other day - you CAN turn off the iPad ringing when the phone rings.

To do: go to the FaceTime section in your Settings app and ensure the "iPhone Cellular Calls" line is OFF.

I also turned this on on my phone, so I don't know if doing it on the iPad alone will do.

Still, now? When my phone rings, it's just the phone. Which works for me and I hope works for you.

Marilyn

There is no such option on my iPad 3.
I was just repeating what Apple tells on it's support site.

I know, all I wanted to say was that te OP might not have been wrong, and it is a mistake on Apple's part.

Most reactions