What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everything to do with XMAS!

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is the Xmas pudding

Cooking time: 3 hours makes 6/8 servings
Ingredients
3 oz Apricots
85 g/3 oz Dates
85 g/ 3 oz Seedless Raisins
60 g/ 2 oz Almonds
85 g/3 oz Ground Almonds
60 g/ 2 oz Chestnuts
30g/ 1 oz Dried Figs
30 g/1 oz Chopped Hazelnuts
85 g/3 oz Cherries
60 g/ 2 oz Mixed Peel
115 g/ 4 oz Muscovado Sugar
45 g/ 1 1/2 oz Suet
150 ml/5 fl oz Guinness
30 ml/ 2 tbs White Rum
30 ml/ 2 tbs Brandy. 30 g/ 1 oz Softened Unsalted Butter
60g/ 2 oz Self Raising Flour. Pinch Ground Cinnamon
60g/2 oz Fresh White Breadcrumbs 60 g/ 2 oz Chilled Unsalted Butter
1/2 tsp Ground Mace or Nutmeg. 2 Eggs beaten
1 lemon and 1 orange grated rind 15 ml / 1 tbs Golden Syrup

Cooking Instructions
Put all fruit and nuts to soak with 75 ml (5 tbs) Guinness, all the Rum and Brandy. Mix well, cover, leave over night. The next day mix remaining ingredients with fruit and just enough Guiness to give a dropping consistency. Spoon into a 1.25 lt (2 pint) pudding basin and press down with back of spoon. Cover with a large round of grease proof paper. Top with a similar sized round of foil. Fold both across centre to make a lynch pleat. Tie with string under the outside rim, add a doubled loop of string over the top to create a handle. Set basin in steamer fitted over saucepan of gently boiling water. Cover tightly and steam for 3 hours, topping up with boiling water as and when necessary. Cool completely. Cover with fresh foil but leave greaseproof paper in place. Store in cool dry place or freezer for a year. Thaw completely before reheating.
To reheat, steam for 1 hour. To microwave - 4. 1/2 mins on high
Storage. ( November 24th or Sunday before advent).

All the ingredients have been changed if there is none available. Just substitute something else. It's the only time I actually bake if I can help it.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Excellent reason. I clean after my husband cooks, too. From the mess he leaves, you'd imagine he was a blind cook. I have to tie him credit for cooking, though. If it were left to me, we'd be eating out of boxes, cans and bags.

Absolutely agree! Snap! He's the chef for all things English and I make the Indian, South African and Italian stuff

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely agree! Snap! He's the chef for all things English and I make the Indian, South African and Italian stuff

Indian, yum. Just having leftovers now.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Chicken Tikka Marsala is my favourite and my mums curry. So simple to make and I usually add other things to it. I try and eat Indian, Italian over Xmas as well because there is only so much turkey/ goose you can eat surely! Hubby is shaking his head right now. He loves his meat!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about beef or lamb vindaloo? I think southern Indian food is more vegetarian, but you can curry pretty much anything, can't you? And most of the Indian sauces I've had would work with meat, too, I think.

Good chatting with you. Now I'm going to have a lie down to digest my Indian.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, Indian everything but I would land up on the loo if I had vindaloo all the time. Happy resting.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Cheers to you too! Hubby now wants to do the pudding today so watch out for the fireworks. He's usually the cook and I clean up after him. He has no sense of tidiness. It's total devastation after he's been in there. It's a good excuse to break open the sherry or brandy, don't you think?

I'm just the opposite - no sense of cooking other than using a barbecue - cremation ritual designed for men by men :).

So i do all the peeling, carving, hacking, battering, slicing etc. the wife who is simply an excellent traditional style cook deals with cooking the meal, and i then do ALL the cleaning up afterwards - no matter HOW sloshed i am!

Well having strong virtue's is important to me lol!

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I like teamwork. It doesn't matter who does the cleaning.

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes it does
I ate cleaning up?
Love the recipes Hayley will give the mince tarts a go.
Keep them coming
I do a frozen ice cream Xmas pudding.
As its so hot here.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
40 days to xmas, you guys! Eek! It's galloping towards us now. I haven't started to buy prezzies yet!

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
40 days to xmas, you guys! Eek! It's galloping towards us now. I haven't started to buy prezzies yet!

Not paid for the last one yet

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Wow, it's closer than I realized.

Sort of related: There's a free iPhone app called Days Until, which lets you set any date in future (like Christmas) and keeps counting down till that day. As I recall, Christmas came as a default countdown.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have "Sleeps to Christmas". It gives you the days, hours, minutes and seconds. With Xmas music as well.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Err! That's me! Hee Hee. I own both versions. 1 and 2 i need help!

Most reactions

Latest posts