What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Even Some Of The Anti-iPad Writers Are Coming Around...If Only To Eat Crow

Craig

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
eating_crow.jpg

By way of John Gruber's Daring Fireball blog comes a blurb about how Dan Lyons (of Fake Steve fame), who initially hated the iPad after the keynote announcement, has come to do an about face and now cannot wait to get his hands on one.

From his initial reactions after the keynote:

"The only people I saw cheering were the ones that worked at Apple sitting in the first two rows...I was hoping to see more...I thought it was underwhelming...what is there to do there, watch a video game on a bigger screen?...You came up with a new platform and the best f*cking thing you can come up with is iWork?"
And now just this week on Newsweek's cover story about the iPad he goes on to say the following:

Yet my first thought, as I watched Jobs run through his demo, was that it seemed like no big deal. It's a bigger version of the iPod Touch, right? Then I got a chance to use an iPad, and it hit me: I want one. Right away I could see how I would use it. I'd keep it in the living room to check e-mail and browse the Web. I'd take it to the kitchen and read The New York Times while I eat breakfast. I'd bring it with me on a plane to watch movies and read books. Magical? Revolutionary? You bet.
This is a trend we're seeing quite a bit around the tech blogs where the iPad was once an easy joke to be had at the expense of completely missing the point about its very existence to begin with. Now that the pundits are seeing huge sales in the pre-order stage of the launch, they're starting to re-think their initial reactions to the device. One can estimate that this trend will only continue to pick up as this week's iPad fever hits what is sure to be an all-time high with the launch set to happen in less than one week's time.

There is no doubt that the iPad will be the piece of tech gear for the foreseeable future. Any tech blog or writer worth their weight in salt is not going to want to miss out on the millions of eyeballs scouring the internet for information on the device. Get ready to see more than a few one-time iPad haters jumping on the bandwagon as if they never had a doubt about the little tablet that could.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've noticed a few of those happenings on Mobile Read. I'm prepared to let them join our ranks without razzing them because I profoundly respect the courage it takes to admit being wrong.

Most reasons Apples naysayers invoke turn rather towards Apple than the iPad. Those people have had bad experiences with Apple and so have I at times, but I've always believed in the genious and design of Apple products. The iPad is it, in full glory.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad NaySayer

I've noticed a few of those happenings on Mobile Read. I'm prepared to let them join our ranks without razzing them because I profoundly respect the courage it takes to admit being wrong.

Most reasons Apples naysayers invoke turn rather towards Apple than the iPad. Those people have had bad experiences with Apple and so have I at times, but I've always believed in the genious and design of Apple products. The iPad is it, in full glory.

yeah he his brave enough for publicly he be wrong , but maybe he have interest to don't stay in naysayer side ??

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see it as unusual...I had the EXACT same initial reaction...so what...whats the big deal, then the more I thought about it the more genius I found it and the more I really wanted one...so I preordered one immediately when they were available.....but the for the first couple days after the keynote I kicked some dirt too.

rosselle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I read the tablet article in the April issue of WIRED I went to the Apple store and ordered one!

Most reactions

Latest posts