What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy way to access library downloads on your iPad

ritergeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spent hours on Google looking for the mysterious portal that would give me iPad access to library eBook downloads. I should have called the library first! Here's the key:

1. Download the free Overdrive App.
  2. For ePubs with DRM protection (most anything in your library catalog), you'll need an Adobe ID. Authorize the Overdrive App to access your Adobe library.
  3. Poke around until you find the link to Find Your Library. If you've made it to this Forum post, you'll find your way.
  4. Log in with your library ID.
  5. If you have already used this interface on your computer, it will look familiar. If not, you'll figure it out.
  6. Download your selected material.
  7. Randomly poke around until you figure out how to open the book. It's not obvious, but again, if you are reading this, you can do it.
I had already checked out a title and downloaded it to my computer. No problem. I downloaded again straight to my iPad. There was no need to sync, transfer, or anything. This is good. I am a Windows user and iTunes is enough to blow my gaskets. It doesn't match any instructions I find for transfering things, and I switch randomly between desktop and laptop and the iPad only wants to talk to one... I freely admit, I HATE ITUNES! This so simple, whatever your "home" platform, the Overdrive app makes life simple.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Odd. If you google "iPad library books" you get lots of hits telling how to do this, but it's good you figured out how.

Terry A

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For anyone who wants free e-books, the libraries are the way to go. They are rapidly ramping up their catalogs so you can often get great new books for free. I'm going to have to check out the download straight to my iPad since I've always gone through my Mac before.

Pinmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My local library in the UK does't have a great choice of ebooks or audiobooks. I can access other libraries in the UK but it's a faff to try to find one with decent content. Can anyone recommend some libraries to try please?

Terry A

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Terry A said:
For anyone who wants free e-books, the libraries are the way to go. They are rapidly ramping up their catalogs so you can often get great new books for free. I'm going to have to check out the download straight to my iPad since I've always gone through my Mac before.

Pinmac said:
My local library in the UK does't have a great choice of ebooks or audiobooks. I can access other libraries in the UK but it's a faff to try to find one with decent content. Can anyone recommend some libraries to try please?

Yes, they are still ramping up so getting a large selection can be hard.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts