What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Behaving Erratically

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
my ipad is behaving erratically. It hesitates, a lot of the movement is very jerky. Some apps open very slowly. This started when I was doing an update for the PBS app. It just wouldn't finish. I finally deleted the PBS app but that didn't help. I still have storage, albeit not a lot. Help please.

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My storage is 1.2 GB. Some apps open and then close. HELP!!!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My storage is 1.2 GB. Some apps open and then close. HELP!!!
Do you mean that you only have 1.2GB of available storage left? This may be a cause of the problem. Try freeing up several GBs of storage and see if that helps. Also, if your RAM use is maxed out, it can also cause app problems. To free it up try force closing some of your recently used apps. Double click the home button or swipe up from the bottom of the screen to reveal the app switcher, then swipe up on the thumbnails of some of the recently opened apps so they disappear from the app switcher. Let us know if either method works.

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My bad! I have over 900 MB of storage. I already had deleted some apps to free up storage. It's not behaving as badly as it was. Still a little slow and my Facebook app sometimes opens and closes right away.

It's weird how it did this while I was tring to update the PBS app. I deleted the app and now it won't install. I will see how it goes. Thanks for the help.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My bad! I have over 900 MB of storage. I already had deleted some apps to free up storage. It's not behaving as badly as it was. Still a little slow and my Facebook app sometimes opens and closes right away.

It's weird how it did this while I was tring to update the PBS app. I deleted the app and now it won't install. I will see how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Hello Ladymind... - you are still unclear about the storage, i.e. if indeed you have only 900 MB of storage left, then that is likely an important issue (remember 1 GB = 1000 MB) - please provide some more specific and accurate information:

First, go into Settings -> General -> About; look at the right-column and my first image below; please provide us w/ what I have circled in blue, i.e. capacity, available, version, & model - then we will know which iPad you own and the iOS installed, and also the original storage and what is left.

Second, from Settings -> General -> Storage & iCloud Usage, go into 'Manage Storage' (see the second image and the blue circled items again) - click the latter which should bring up the third image below - tell us the top items taking up your storage - you will need to concentrate on the 'storage hogs' and either eliminate apps and/or their data (e.g. pics, mags, books, etc.) - please post back. Dave :)
iPad1.PNG
iPad2.PNG
ipad3.PNG

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dave, I can't thank you enough for your help. Things have gone from bad to wirse. All of the info in my calendar is gone. Snd I did not delete that. Plus I am having issues with turning the ipad off.

So here are the details:

Capacity 26.5 GB
Available 833 MB
Version 9.3.2 (13F69)
Model ME277Ll/A

Used 25.5 GB
Available 837 MB
see attached for data hoggers.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    209.5 KB · Views: 262

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave, I can't thank you enough for your help. Things have gone from bad to wirse. All of the info in my calendar is gone. Snd I did not delete that. Plus I am having issues with turning the ipad off.

So here are the details:

Capacity 26.5 GB
Available 833 MB
Version 9.3.2 (13F69)
Model ME277Ll/A

Used 25.5 GB
Available 837 MB
see attached for data hoggers.

Hi again - thanks for the information - you have an iPad Mini 2 w/ 32 GB storage - also, you have virtually no available storage left, which is likely your main problem, so that needs to be remedied. I looked at your 'storage usage' and the top items shown add up to about 10 GB only (the remaining 'not shown' MB items are unlikely to explain 'where' your other 'used' 15 GB may be?).

A common problem in iOS storage is a category called 'Other' - check Link 1 and Link 2 for an explanation - I suspect that this may be a possible issue. If you backup your iPad to a computer, i.e. iTunes - I would suggest that you cable the device, open iTunes, and click on the iPad icon (left upper corner on a Mac computer - assume similar on a PC but don't know).

At the bottom in the iPad panel, a storage bar graph should be shown w/ colored categories (see image below from Link 1) - the 'yellow' bar is the nefarious 'Other' category which for whatever reason may use a LOT of storage - if you can tell us (or upload an image of that same view), then other suggestions can be offered; both links explain this storage item and offer ways to reduce this category - sometimes an iPad needs to be 'restored' from a backup - but let me stop there to allow you to respond. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-07-16 at 2.15.13 PM.png

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Dave, again, thank you. I don't have a laptop or PC so all my backup is just on the icloud. I had even less storage before I deleted a bunch of apps and the ipad worked fine. I still think it might be connected to the stupid PBS app update. Monday at work I'll hook up to a computer so see the "other" storage. I will comment then. Thank you Dave.

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
P.S. I tried downloading the PBS app and it says unable to download at this time.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave, again, thank you. I don't have a laptop or PC so all my backup is just on the icloud. I had even less storage before I deleted a bunch of apps and the ipad worked fine. I still think it might be connected to the stupid PBS app update. Monday at work I'll hook up to a computer so see the "other" storage. I will comment then. Thank you Dave.

Well, make sure that your iCloud backup is recent because if you need to do a 'restore', then that backup will be used, unless you decide to sync @ work on a computer w/ iTunes, where a backup could also be stored - if you've not used iTunes before for this purpose, the here is an Apple Link.

In the meantime, you might want to try to 'Reset' the iPad which might just clear up some of your storage - if you've not done this maneuver, then directions below - good luck! Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom’) - iOS 8.x/9.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears (this may take longer); release the buttons and the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

Last edited:
OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I went from bad to worse. Over the weekend my iPad just froze with the Apple logo. Nothing I have done worked. ITunes doesnt even recognize my device. It looks like it has died. I do use it constantly and it was rather warm. Looks like buying another is my option, or vomiting the Apple store.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again - sorry to hear about your continued woes - SO, let's confirm what you have done since my last post: 1) Did you try the 'Reset' (using both buttons as explained previously); 2) You cabled the device to a computer and in iTunes the iPad is not seen; and 3) Because of the latter, you were not able to check to determine the size of the 'Other' storage category described previously - is this all correct?

Your last choices are to try a 'Restore' but this is usually done via iTunes, so does not seem to be an option. As shown previous in the shot posted of the 'Reset' options - 'Erase All Content & Settings' might be a choice but not sure that will even work considering the state of your iPad? Finally, the last resort step is putting your iPad in DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode - a description can be found in this THREAD and plenty of hits can be generated by googling 'DFU iPad'.

NOW - keep in mind that you'll need a recent backup (iTunes and/or iCloud) to restore your iPad w/ all or much of your content, otherwise if the iPad can be 'brought back to life', the device will be like when purchased originally. If you are close to an Apple store, I would strongly suggest that you make a 'genius bar' appointment and get their advice. Good luck - Dave :)

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for everything Dave. It's a goner. I tried all your suggestions. It is stuck in opening mode and that is that.

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought a new ipad mini with 64 GB. Everything went flawlessly getting my back up from the icloud except for 2 apps. Amazon Music and Magic Puzzles. The Amazon music won't load. It says network error. The Magic Puzzles app loads but all the puzzles are black. Any ideas anyone? I'm posting here because I couldn't find the new post thingy.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I bought a new ipad mini with 64 GB. Everything went flawlessly getting my back up from the icloud except for 2 apps. Amazon Music and Magic Puzzles. The Amazon music won't load. It says network error. The Magic Puzzles app loads but all the puzzles are black. Any ideas anyone? I'm posting here because I couldn't find the new post thingy.

Hello and congrats on the new iPad Mini! :) My first suggestion is to delete the misbehaving apps, and then 'Reset' the device and try to re-download and test again. If not familiar w/ the maneuver, hold down BOTH the ON-OFF & HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears (may take 10 seconds or so), then release both and allow the iPad to reboot - none of your apps, settings, etc. will be affected. Let us know your results - Dave

Most reactions