What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email notification when iPad is asleep

OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the settings for "Silence" I have two options (1) Always and (2) Only when iPad is locked. Currently "Only when iPad is locked" is ticked but the only way I can remove the tick against this option is to select "Always" - which of course I dont want.

So how do I remove the tick against "Only when iPad is locked" without setting silence to "Always"?

But what I think the real problem is that my emails do not appear in my inbox until after I have woken up the iPad and entered the passcode....

OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi scifan57,

I only got part of your message but in answer to the initial question - no I do not leave it plugged into the charger. Why would I do that and how would that effect the way the iPad handles incoming email?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems that the problem is the iPad does not receive the emails until the iPad is taken out of sleep and the passcode is entered. As soon as I enter the passcode, my emails come into the iPad and I get the notifications etc.

What do I have to do to ensure my emails are received into the iPad when the iPad is asleep/locked?

Simple instructions please....

Go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Fetch New Data and check the specific settings for your mail provider. Push will work best, if available with your mail provider, otherwise Fetch with regular timed intervals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not getting anywhere with this issue and I cannt believe it is that complicated - but then maybe I am missing something.

1. My iPad is WiFi enabled (not 3G)
2. I use BT Mail (email address @btinternet.com)
3. BT Mail does not have a "Push" option when viewed via iPad settings
4. Have set iPad "Fetch" to 30 mins
5. Now testing it to see if I get email "ping" noticication once iPad goes to sleep and have waited at least 30 mins

Given that I have a WiFi iPad - does this mean internet connection is stopped when iPad goes to sleep? Could that be the cause of my issue?

Getting stressed.....

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not getting anywhere with this issue and I cannt believe it is that complicated - but then maybe I am missing something.

1. My iPad is WiFi enabled (not 3G)
2. I use BT Mail (email address @btinternet.com)
3. BT Mail does not have a "Push" option when viewed via iPad settings
4. Have set iPad "Fetch" to 30 mins
5. Now testing it to see if I get email "ping" noticication once iPad goes to sleep and have waited at least 30 mins

Given that I have a WiFi iPad - does this mean internet connection is stopped when iPad goes to sleep? Could that be the cause of my issue?

Getting stressed.....
You've hit the nail on the head. Unless the iPad is plugged into the charger, the WiFi Internet connection is turned off as a battery saving feature when the iPad goes to sleep. If the iPad is plugged in, the WiFi connection is left active.

OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much. That makes a lot of sense and explains a lot.

I dont have my iPad with me so cannot check this until I get home, but do you know if there is an option to keep the internet connection running when the iPad goes to sleep and not plugged in or is the only way to achieve this to plug it in/charge it?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much. That makes a lot of sense and explains a lot.

I dont have my iPad with me so cannot check this until I get home, but do you know if there is an option to keep the internet connection running when the iPad goes to sleep and not plugged in or is the only way to achieve this to plug it in/charge it?
The only way to keep the Internet connection permanently active when the iPad is on battery power is to go into Settings>General>Auto-Lock and set the auto lock time limit to never. This means that the iPad will never go to sleep and you will receive the email notifications, at the expense of greatly increased battery drain.

OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. To confirm:
Emails
When asleep on battery power = no internet connectivity = incoming emails not received
When charging = internet connectivity = incoming emails are received

Facetime?
What about Facetime when asleep and on battery power (not charging) - do alerts still happen then?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
FaceTime and anything else depending on an Internet connection will not work when the iPad's WiFi connection is lost after an iPad on battery power goes to sleep.

OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is confusing.

Last night I got a Facetime call when my iPad was asleep and not charging. I had just walked in the door from having been away for the weekend.

I assumed Facetime -albeit connected via the Internet - worked differently to email.

:confused:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really appreciate all your help and clearly you can see I am not up to speed with all the technical aspects of how the iPad works let alone the internet.

Having read the above article I am now even more confused.

Some say leaving your iPad asleep and not plugged in you do get email and FaceTime notifications, some say you dont get either - and others say you get something in between.

I have an iPad Air and all I want is -when the iPad is asleep and not charging- to get email notifications as soon as they are sent and FaceTime alerts as soon as the call is made.

At the moment when the iPad is asleep and not charging I do not get email alerts but can receive FaceTime alerts.

I guess I am going to have to take the iPad to an Apple Store and get them to look at it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an iPad Air and all I want is -when the iPad is asleep and not charging- to get email notifications as soon as they are sent and FaceTime alerts as soon as the call is made.

At the moment when the iPad is asleep and not charging I do not get email alerts but can receive FaceTime alerts.

Unless your email provider has Push Notifications (and you said they do not), you can not get mail notification on your iPad as soon as they are sent. The best you can do is set Fetch to 15 minutes. This will have some impact on battery life, compared to the 30 minute option, but not a lot.

The iPad should perform the Fetch whether it is plugged in or not, asleep or not.

For a proper test, don't just wait for emails to come in. Use your computer to send test emails, so that you know when they are sent. Hold in mind that the response time will vary, since the iPad is checking on a schedule; every 15, 30, or hourly. At a maximum it should not be much over the time set; holding in mind that the email servers can sometimes have delays in delivering email.

Facetime does have Push Notifications, which is why it works immediately. Being a live call service it would be pretty useless otherwise.

If it is absolutely necessary that you get emails as soon as possible, you should consider changing your primary email provider to one that supports Push Notifications. As an interim measure (while you migrate your contacts to the new service) you can probably have BT automatically forward to your new provider. Noticing which emails are forwarded will also tell you where you need to go to make changes.

iCloud, Google, Yahoo, and Hot Mail all have Push Notifications. I'm not sure about others, especially the U.K. providers.

Most reactions

Latest posts