What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email not deleting off server from iOS

butterfly68za

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I searched the forums but did not find anything relating to my query.

I have set up iOS to delete emails from the server when deleted from the inbox using iOS native email app.

A couple of minutes later, the whole inbox has downloaded again, this happens several times through out the day, until I log in via the web browser and manually delete them off the server.

This was on iOS 4 on my iPod Touch and the same on my iPad 2 with iOS 5. Excuse my language, but its starting to ........ me off!

Any work arounds, something I have missed? I've tried all possible settings.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It depends on how you have set-up your email on the iPad. This will also depend on your mail provider and the type of mail connection allowed. It sounds like your current set-up uses a pop3/SMTP server connection, which is rather limiting. A more advanced IMAP or Exchange server set-up will allow you to do exactly what you're after.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even with POP, iPad allows you to set how frequently emails are deleted. Sounds like you've just got to get your settings adjusted.

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Go to your mail settings.select your account and select it again.go to advanced settings then mailbox behaviours then deleted mailbox.set trash to server and not ipad.

OP
butterfly68za

butterfly68za

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you dhewson777 & Semel

You both gave me help :D

I changed the account to IMAP, as dhewson777 suggested, and went further and followed Semel's advice to change the Trash folder to Server Trash. Works perfect!

You guys and iPF rock!

Most reactions

Latest posts