What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

synching email only to iPad

gandkand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set up my email using the very handy setup provided by Apple. It leaves very little options to select. I want emails being fetched from my ISP server to stay on that server until I access them later on my home PC. I am using IMAP protocol which I thought leaves emails on the ISP server. Right now, if the email is delivered to my iPad it is deleted from the server.

Where can I access the iPad settings to prevent deleting from the ISP server?

rlapoint

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do not believe your iPad gives you that option. You should check your mail account settings on your PC and make sure that leave copies of email on sever is selected from there. You are correct in that IMAP should leave mail copies but make sure you have that selected on the PC. IPad is limited in your setting chioces.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP, sounds like you want a pop account rather than imap if you want to delete on one device and yet leave email untouched on other devices. imap does the opposite -- if you delete on one device, it synchs up so that everything is deleted across all your devices.

I use pop specifically so I can delete email on my mobile devices individually, and still maintain all emails on my home computer, on which I archive emails every few months or so. With my pop accounts on iPad, these are my settings:

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > under each pop email account > Advanced > Incoming Settings > Delete from server > Never

I use pop accounts on four mobile devices now, including two iPads. This has worked without fail for years, since I got my first iPhone several generations ago.

Last edited:

Monstermanhbf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.hpibajaforum.com
Yeah the above post is correct. I use Optonline mail "POP" and I had to set up my email account to leave emails on the server for X # of days so that if I deleted them from the Ipad inbox they would still be on the server therefore showing up in or on my Desktop Home PC or Apple Desktop..

Hope this helps

Most reactions

Latest posts