What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email more than 1 recipient

Rfhoge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can I select more than one recipient To email when I want to send an email without having to select only one at a time with my iPad?

Thanks, Rick

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AFAIK multiple recipient groups cannot be created on the iPad. A semi-workaround is to create a "group" in your chosen address book...Contacts, Outlook, etc. Sync your iPad's Contacts App with your address book.

When you want to send an email to a group, open a new email, in the "To:" area where you'd normally type a recipient's name, tap on the "+" button (far right-hand side). In the pop-up menu tap on the "Groups" button in the upper left-hand side. All of your groups will be listed and you can pick the one that has all of the recipients you want to email. Unfortunately you still have to tap on each recipient's name to add them to your email. That's slightly faster/easier than typing each person's name, but it's not as easy as simply picking a group from your address book on your computer.

There are some apps that claim to be able to help, but I've never tried one. Perhaps others will chime in with their experiences.

Hope that helps!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best app for this is MailShot, which enables you to create groups within the iPad's native Contacts app. There's a free version (limited to five email addresses per group) so that you can try it out. Then, if you upgrade to the paid version, there's no limit to the number of email addresses you can have in a group. Those groups work 'properly' from within the iPad's native Mail app.

Tim

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
The best app for this is MailShot, which enables you to create groups within the iPad's native Contacts app. There's a free version (limited to five email addresses per group) so that you can try it out. Then, if you upgrade to the paid version, there's no limit to the number of email addresses you can have in a group. Those groups work 'properly' from within the iPad's native Mail app.

Tim

Thx for that heads up on "mailshot" Tim, Great free program. Allows me to quickly forward to my joke list. Also says its the only app that allows multiple email contacts using Siri on the iPhone 4s.

I wondered why the multiple contact email feature was missing in iOS5? Maybe they will build it in the a future update or at least the iPad3.
Another email feature I'd like to see is a "blind contact" field like Outlook has, so I'm not forwarding everyone's address.
Anyone know of a program that adds this to the iPads resident email app?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I created an email group via the keyboard shortcut in IOS 5.

Instead of typing in everyone's email address, I cut and pasted them into the shortcut field. I don't know what's the character limit in a shortcut, but I was able to create a group with about a dozen email addresses.

Then when I want to email the group, I just type the shortcut into the native email app. Works in the regular send field, as well as CC and BCC fields.

Last edited:

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the field in Outlook is Bcc:
When you put several email contacts in that field (rather than the To:) what this does is not allow others who receive your email to view everyone else you sent the email to.

This Bcc: helps with privacy and also thwarts the spammers from getting a live list of emails when someone merely forwards your email to others.
Many email programs allow for Bcc:

There is a Bcc choice to turn on in settings>email, but it only allows for it to blind copy "you" as the sender.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you put several email contacts in that field (rather than the To:) what this does is not allow others who receive your email to view everyone else you sent the email to.

This Bcc: helps with privacy and also thwarts the spammers from getting a live list of emails when someone merely forwards your email to others.

There is a Bcc choice to turn on in settings>email, but it only allows for it to blind copy "you" as the sender.

To blind copy email addresses to an email in the native iPad email app, create email, hit the CC / BCC field and it will drop down a BCC option.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

+ 1 on that. :thumbs: I wish more people understood that every time an email is sent the recipient's email address is seen not only to other recipients but often to the bad guys. Depending on the mail servers folks use email addresses can be exposed to bots roaming the Interwebs harvesting them for spam. I see so many "forwards" with a dozen or more emails in the "To:" field or even "cc:" field. :mad:

Sending an email to yourself with everyone else listed in the "Bcc:" field can help thwart spammers and is truly appreciated by everyone (even if they're unaware of it)...everyone except the bad guys. ;)

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I stand corrected on this one . . . When I click on CC/Bcc field it opens to a Bcc: field (blind email list that does not forward everyone's else's email address)

I don't know how long it's been there. Maybe it came with the 5.1 update? Maybe it's been there all along and I never noticed because I never clicked on it.

Either way, It's great to see that field. Sometimes when I send an email out to several names I don't want each recipient to see who else I sent it to.

And as mentioned in the above posts, spammers can't harvest your entire list of live emails when you use Bcc:

GaleHM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This works on iPad and iPhone.
First … make a list of all the recipients in notes, separated by a comma

Second … select all, copy

Third … go to contacts, in the name, put the group name and the go down to email field, hold down to show pop up, select paste and then save it.

To send your email to the group, start typing the group name and it should appear.

It works on my iPhone and I set it up on a friends iPad and it works there too.

I hope this helps and you are still checking this topic.

Most reactions

Latest posts