What's new
Apple iPad Forum šŸŽ

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email backup

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I want to change my Internet provider which means Iā€™ll lose all my old emails. Is there an easy way to back them up. I canā€™t see a way on an iPad but I do also have an iMac. TIA.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I want to change my Internet provider which means Iā€™ll lose all my old emails. Is there an easy way to back them up. I canā€™t see a way on an iPad but I do also have an iMac. TIA.
You need to go to the Mail App on your Mac - select the mailbox you want to backup - then go to Mailbox - then select Export Mailbox. You can then save the backup somewhere safe.

OP
Willster

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You need to go to the Mail App on your Mac - select the mailbox you want to backup - then go to Mailbox - then select Export Mailbox. You can then save the backup somewhere safe.
Thanks Iā€™ll have a look.

OP
Willster

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Iā€™m thinking of using iCloud as my main email in future, can you see any problems doing this? Im a bit fed up with my current broadband provider keep increasing their prices. I have Gmail and Outlook as well if needed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I like iCloud/Apple email, and have been using for many years, back long before iCloud was a thing. It is my primary email account. If you are reasonably sure you'll keep using Apple stuff, it's awesome for it's tighter integration with Apple's other services and apps.,

BTW, you do not lose it by not using Apple stuff, it just looks a bit odd; like putting a Dodge Ram hood ornament on your Chevy pickup. It's a standard IMAP account that can be used with most email clients. Not just Apple Mail. The account does not require a registered Apple device to work. (to the best of my knowledge)

I also have gmail and Yahoo. I don't recommend Yahoo. I had a pretty bad reputation for problems a few years back, and while nothing much has popped up on the news or forum recently, I suspect it is because very few people use them anymore. I'm not sure why I still have it in my Mail app, other than habit.

Gmail is a good, reliable service. I use Google for a quite a few things. Mostly when I need to cooperate with others who use Google's apps. If it weren't for the inherent conflict between their business model and customer privacy I'd feel better, but I'm not enough bothered by it to stop using their services when they are more convenient.

If I were forced to give up my Apple email account, I'd probably switch my primary account to a Microsoft version of email. I have an Office 365 account (for much the same reason I use Google apps), so it would't be to much of a leap.

OP
Willster

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Iā€™ll set up an account. Iā€™ve been using Macs for over 30 years since about Classic OS 6, Iā€™m not planning on stopping anytime soon! šŸ˜†.

OP
Willster

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Iā€™ve setup an iCloud email but I canā€™t use it for my Apple ID at the moment. After a quick Google it seems I need to wait 30 days to change over from my old email.

OP
Willster

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Update. Itā€™s been over a month now since I set up my new icloud email so I have successfully been able to edit my Apple ID to reflect this.

Most reactions

Latest posts