What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eleven Years Ago...do you know where you were?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was in a conference room in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil. My team arrived the day before so we could settle in for a month long business development audit. We arrived at 8:30am and started setting up our workroom, plugging in our laptops and securing office supplies. As usual, we logged on to the Brasilian network, and then we logged on into our company intranet. Some one was pulling down business processes, another person was going to archives online to see past audits and audit findings. Others were catching up on email. I was scheduling meetings and sending out invitations. Our Kick off meeting was at 10:00 AM Rio time/9:00 New York time. Our custom is to set up all conference calls to start 15 minutes ahead of the hour so that if there were any problems, these would be resolved by the time the executives arrived.

About twenty minutes before the hour we headed up to the conference room to get settled in and do last minute preparations, I.e. connecting to the web and making people had access to our documentation online. There were already several host team members in the room also getting ready. At 15 minutes before the hour, we started the conference call start up...started checking connectivity. Since I was the guest host at exactly 15 minutes before the hour I would declare the conference open by sending an email to all invitees. Our custom was that every center that was invited was supposed to reply with a we're here message. So less than a minute later, we got our first reply from Sao Paolo, Brasil. We waited a couple more minutes, we still hadn't heard from Armonk or Poughkeepsie in New York. 10 minutes before the hour we send a technician to find out why our Internet connection was slow. Two minutes later, a technician came back and said there was a horrible accident, a commuter plan had hit the World Trade Center and all communications to the US was being rerouted to other trunk lines via Chicago.

At 10:00am, we finally got an email message from a New York based executive telling us that our conference call was postponed and that we were all to stay in the building for further instructions. Since we had several New York based teammates, they all got on their cell phones and started calling home. they got nothing but busy signals. Then we all started emailing other contacts in the U S A to see what was going on, no replies.

Even though I was many miles away and in another hemisphere I shall always remember how terrorized I felt when nothing and no one had any news. And I shall always remember how sad, appalled, and angry I felt when I did get the news. It was a shocking time.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was just working around the house with the tv on in the background when the programme was interrupted with the terrible reports and footage of what was happening,it still makes me go cold even now.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was at my parents house, and i was putting up the curtains that was just washed. Got a phone call and told to turn on tv, which i did and could see the smoke and shortly after wards the building collasping. As i was watching my mum came home from shopping, she had no idea what happened, and casually asked me what movie is it i am watching.

RIP Steve Jobs 

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was 15 years old. I was home-schooled at the time, so I usually slept in til about 9:15-9:30. I woke up unusually early for me. I hate sleeping in silence, so I always have the radio on a local soft jazz station at night. I woke up that morning to radio silence. Thought it was strange, but didn't think much beyond that until I opened my bedroom door and heard the tv on. It struck me as odd, right off the bat, because even now, we don't turn the tv on until 6pm. I walked into my parents bedroom where the tv was on. My dad was already at work and was on the phone with mom. I had no clue what was going on until they had cycled the coverage back around to the first tower being hit. I watched the second one get hit live on tv.

Now, the strange part: the night before, I had had a dream. I have always wanted to go to New York and in my dream, my parents had surprised me with an impromptu trip. My mom is afraid of heights, so it was mostly dad and I that went sight-seeing. I told him I wanted to go to the top of the Twin Towers, so we did. No sooner had we gotten to the top, a plane struck the building and I woke up.

I remember the dream as vividly as the news coverage.

Most reactions