What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Editing Safari's saved password

SwanseaMick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having a new iPad 2 Air, I wanted to transfer my saved usernames/passwords from my old iPad2. I discovered backup/restore via itunes does not transfer this type of info. Fine, there isn't many, so I thought I'd add them manually via settings 'Add Password' facility. Having entered all the data, it seems Safari will not recognise any Username/password entered manually!!!!

When I visited one of the sites, autofill did not appear on my keyboard so I had to enter the username /password manually. When I clicked login, I was then asked if I wanted to save the username/password, to which I answered yes. Later, when re-visiting the site, I found autofill was now working, but when I checked Safari password settingsI found I now had two identical entries for the site, only one of which was triggering the autofill!

Can anyone suggest why the manually entered ones are not being recognised by Safari? (I did think that perhaps I wasn't entering the full url, but I double checked each entry to make sure it matched what was on my original iPad2)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you choose to encrypt the iTunes backups for your iPad, your passwords and usernames for various sites will be saved as part of the backup. A word of caution though, if you forget your encryption password, you will lose access to the encrypted backups and will not be able to restore from those backups.

OP
S

SwanseaMick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sciafan57,

Nice to know, I'll keep it mind for future reference.

It still doesn't answer why manually entered username/passwords aren't being recognised by Safari.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
sciafan57,

Nice to know, I'll keep it mind for future reference.

It still doesn't answer why manually entered username/passwords aren't being recognised by Safari.

Just one thought that you likely have already done - have you gone into Settings -> Safari -> AutoFill - there you can activate a number of autofill features. Dave :)

OP
S

SwanseaMick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dave,
Autofill is working on the one's Safari saves, just not on the ones enetered manually via settings. Weird

Most reactions