What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Editing PDF titles in iBooks

foothillfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to edit titles of PDF documents in iBooks? Several documents I downloaded to iBooks are listed as "untitled" and I would like to add proper descriptors.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You need to edit the metadata in iTunes on your computer.

Having done that, the changes will be reflected on your iPad next time you sync.

OP
foothillfanatic

foothillfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
You need to edit the metadata in iTunes on your computer.

Having done that, the changes will be reflected on your iPad next time you sync.

Thanks! However, it sure would be more convenient to be able to edit within the app. Oh well, still pretty cool to be able to download PDF files for viewing on the iPad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks! However, it sure would be more convenient to be able to edit within the app. Oh well, still pretty cool to be able to download PDF files for viewing on the iPad.

Well, visit the Apple App store and buy GoodReader (check HERE), a $5 purchase but a fabulous program - I download nearly all of my PDFs to this app - titles are easily changed - good luck in your choice! :thumbs:

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, visit the Apple App store and buy GoodReader (check HERE), a $5 purchase but a fabulous program - I download nearly all of my PDFs to this app - titles are easily changed - good luck in your choice! :thumbs:

I've had mixed success changing PDF titles with Goodreader. Sometimes the new/changed title shows up in iBooks, and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't been able to figure out why this happens.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've had mixed success changing PDF titles with Goodreader. Sometimes the new/changed title shows up in iBooks, and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't been able to figure out why this happens.

Well, I don't have a reason for your issue - if I download JUST to Goodreader and change the titles there, no problem - NOT sure if your PDFs files reside in multiple sites, and whether this should make a difference? The iPad apps are 'sandboxed' so that I don't believe that there should be any cross-affects from one app to another?

Will be curious about others' responses? :)

OP
foothillfanatic

foothillfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A question about Goodreader, can you also edit content in the document itself and save it?

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mattmilw said:

A possible reason you get the previous title and not the new one from goodreader is because you didn't delete the file from iBooks first, before you did the "open in iBooks" with the new title from goodreader.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A question about Goodreader, can you also edit content in the document itself and save it?

Hello again - well, I've not really tried to edit PDF files in Goodreader - but looked at a file today and was able to do some highlighting - did not really try any editing, so others who may have more experience w/ this potential aspect of the app will need to 'chime in' - :)

OP
foothillfanatic

foothillfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After looking at the app description it appears editing text is not possible in Goodreader. For documents I created in Word and then saved as a PDF file I would need to make changes in Word and save again as a PDF file before transferring to my iPad.

J T Holland

iPF Noob
Reaction score
foothillfanatic said:
After looking at the app description it appears editing text is not possible in Goodreader. For documents I created in Word and then saved as a PDF file I would need to make changes in Word and save again as a PDF file before transferring to my iPad.

This is not an app that appears useful. Or else my half hour spent looking here for an answer to a simple question was time poorly spent. The question is: how can I change the title of a PDF I downloaded into iBooks? I have several essays and books in iBook that I want to sort but they have codes for titles which dont help. One suggestion I found said "pay $5.00 for a particular app. Then I found a posting that said that app doesn't work. So, why spend the money and waste it? Why spend more time looking for an answer that has already taken too much time? I'm a newbie here but not such to computers. What gives?

Student sir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Open iBooks and go to the folder where all your PDFs are located.
2. Click the "Edit" option.
3. When the app gives you the option to move or delete them, simply click on the title of the PDF and you can edit it there. (Make sure you tap near the end of the title so the application knows you are trying to edit the name.

Richard

Student sir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Relax, there is a way.

1. Open iBooks and go to the folder where all your PDFs are located.
2. Click the "Edit" option.
3. When the app gives you the option to move or delete them, simply click on the title of the PDF and you can edit it there. (Make sure you tap near the end of the title so the application knows you are trying to edit the name.

ChicagoMom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the post.
I have been wondering how to do this also.

I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly.

Thanks again.

ChicagoMom

Most reactions

Latest posts