What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ebooks/iPad/Kindle

jmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two questions:
(1) Will the ebook feature allow for changing (increasing) font size, like the Kindle does?
(2) Will content already owned (from Amazon) in Kindle format be able to be transferred to the iPad?

FX4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe my wife told me that you will be able to increase the font.
Native, the Kindle books are not supported but some sleuthing around the net will yield results. Do you know how to hack a little? You have to break the security and then do a format conversion.

OP
J

jmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks.
If you know how to do that, please let me know. Presume you have download content from Kindle to PC first?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
App Killer

So then the Kindle app I have now (for my 3gs & iPod touch) won't work on the ipad?

I believe all existing app for Iphone/IpodTouch will work in Ipad , but how they will work this is a big question

Last edited:

Mishcee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would stink if I lost the use of the Kindle books I already own, I was so looking forward to reading on a bigger format.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kindle App's for IPAD/IPHONE

So then the Kindle app I have now (for my 3gs & iPod touch) won't work on the ipad?

could you please give me the name or the link abour the app you have in you're Iphone

thank's in advance

Mishcee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is the Kindle app for iPhone/itouch, you can find it at the app store. Just type in "kindle" in the search bar or @ amazon's site
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Kindle+app+for+iPhone&x=0&y=0]Amazon.com: Kindle app for iPhone[/ame]

Hope that helps.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amazon kindle/ Ipad

It is the Kindle app for iPhone/itouch, you can find it at the app store. Just type in "kindle" in the search bar or @ amazon's site
Amazon.com: Kindle app for iPhone

Hope that helps.

Thank's a lot i have found it , but unlucky me Amazon is not yet in Singapore, so due to the stupid restriction i can't download it and order book in my mother language (french) , this point annoy me too

Eeyore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would stink if I lost the use of the Kindle books I already own, I was so looking forward to reading on a bigger format.

Amazon has their own DRM (digital rights management) that prevents the books from being read on other devices. This is a requirement that most publishers demand to prevent their books from being illegally copied. Programs such as Calibre may be able to strip or alter the DRM. However, Apple also has their own DRM that will be applied to the ipad. Whether the non-stripped or altered e-book will display correctly is currently open to question. Once the Ipad is out, we will find out more.

All the best!

Mishcee

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Amazon has their own DRM (digital rights management) that prevents the books from being read on other devices. This is a requirement that most publishers demand to prevent their books from being illegally copied. Programs such as Calibre may be able to strip or alter the DRM. However, Apple also has their own DRM that will be applied to the ipad. Whether the non-stripped or altered e-book will display correctly is currently open to question. Once the Ipad is out, we will find out more.

All the best!
Hi I do understand what you are saying about "drm", I am figuring if ALL of our current apps will work then the "kindle" app which reads their "drm" should allow us to read kindle books. That is if they don't get rod of it to try & force you to buy their ebooks. (not unlike the lack of flash so we can not play free games or watch free tv) at this point with so few models having been made I may never find out :(

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My only unresolved question is: Will iBooks allow me to read my other ebooks on iPad?

If it's possible, then Calibre allows translation to Epub format from most others.

Guy C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mishcee- Acording to one source we can use Kindle for the IPod to use the IPad and the Kindle bookstore together. Will it work- ?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My only unresolved question is: Will iBooks allow me to read my other ebooks on iPad?

If it's possible, then Calibre allows translation to Epub format from most others.
Well, my fears were not justified. You can see the answers on Apple's site. iBooks allows the use of previously owned non-DRMed ebooks.

Link here

Most reactions

Latest posts