What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eBay page shrinks

nannygoat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone else have this problem with iPad 1, it starts off ok but when you want to open the second page it starts shrinking until you can't even read it, I have tried stretching it but it does not fix the problem.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I haven't used EBay for a long time now but that certainly doesn't sound right. Are you using Safari or the app? I think it would be a good idea to close the app and relaunch it. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly. Let us know how you go.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Moonlit suggested use the EBAY application. There is a version for iPhone and iPad. My preference us the version or iPhone on my iPad. I think the interface is much better on the iPhone version.

By the way both versions are FREE.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

OP
N

nannygoat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies about the eBay site shrinking, I should have said, it is in safari that this happens. I prefer this site rather than the app, as it is more usable, eg, editing a listing etc. because of the shrinking I have to go to the app at times where I have no trouble viewing.

I think the solution is to buy ipad3 or iPadHD, whatever they have decided to call it.

dencol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine does exactly the same. Refreshing the page usually fixes the problem, but not always.

Pharlap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah the proverbial problem of to many things in your basket
All you have to do is archive some of your watched items ended items and purchases to the the delete box or archive them and all will be good

OP
N

nannygoat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I have solved my own problem of the shrinking eBay page.
Go into settings, safari, advanced, make sure the debug console is ON.

I also cleared history and cookies.

gto1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also prefer the site to the app. Had the same problem and as per your suggestion I turned debugging on and it seems to have worked! Thanks!

jftman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have spoken with apple techs and eBay techs. I have gotten follow up calls and email from eBay. As far as I can say, eBay is trying to get this shrinking trouble fixed.
I am a little concerned that this seems to have been going on for some time now. Since I am a new iPad user, it would be of help if it could be found out when this began happening? Upgrade to OS or upgrade to the safari browser? Any good accurate info will help. Best regards.

I too have put the debug switch on. It did not resolve the issue. I also prefer the safari browser over the ap. I like the ap and do use it for some purposes. Apple tech said eBay would likely not concentrate on the mobile version of safari because of it. This would be the wrong approach. I believe eBay is genuinely looking at why the mobile safari "lite" browser will frequently cycle the page size and go against the user input to scroll or resize with touch after it loads.

What I do notice on eBay is if I refresh the screen it loads at one font size where as when I load a page to link somewhere the page always reduces one time. That is the screen does not just load and it reduces once to a smaller font but is still readable. When this keeps going the page "shakes" like 8-10 times reducing until the writing looks like a thread. This is the problem, once the first reduction doesn't stop, it goes through multiple times (8-10 reductions) until--- It is impossible to see the space between letters and the height of the text is as thick as a piece of thread.

Last edited:

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gto1970 said:
I also prefer the site to the app. Had the same problem and as per your suggestion I turned debugging on and it seems to have worked! Thanks!

I hate the iPad version of eBay but I love the eBay version for iPhone. I do not the format of the iPad version.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

rey_1178

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has been an issue for awhile. Switching debug console on did nothing for me. What I usually do is pinch and zoom it in a little bit. That usually stops it. So annoying. And the eBay app for iPad isn't that good.

Most reactions

Latest posts