What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easiest way to upgrade?

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been asked before (search did not find any threads), but what is the easiest/best way to upgrade from an iPad1 to an iPad2 and transfer all your programs and data? Do a complete backup of the old device, plug in the new one and let iTunes do the work? What data, if any, does not get transferred that way (full disclosure: I usually don't keep ebooks or MP3s on my harddrive after I put them on my iPad)? Is there some kind of backup/restoer program I should be looking for? Something else completely?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're pretty close.

Before you do the backup, right click on the iPad and choose Transfer Purchases. Make sure everything on the iPad made it to the library. Then do the same thing, but choose the Backup.

Now you can connect your iPad2. If it is the first time it's seen iTunes, it should offer you a restore from backup right after it registers with Apple. If not you can manually choose to restore from backup by right clicking on the iPad and choosing Restore from Backup.

You will still have to sync to copy your apps and media back to the iPad. It's a good idea to go through the various sync pages and make sure they are set up the way you want before syncing. Depending on how much stuff you have this could take quite a while. It is ok to do it in stages, but I would start with the Apps if I were you.

Going into iTunes Preferences, the Devices tab, and turning off auto-syncing will give you more control over when and what gets synced.

Be sure not to restore your original iPad until you've got things the way you want. That way you can always start over.

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found that the locations does NOT work after doing the above. Also had a couple games that didn't reside the scores properly either. After backing up and desiring 3 times I just told it to set it up as new and it did restore everything but all the programs were just as if I had just downloaded them. Not a big deal. At least everything works now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mine worked first time, except all my app folders disappeared. I keep telling myself 'self, it was all for the best, you needed to clean up that mess anyway'. But myself isn't very good listener.

Be nice to know what makes it work for one person and not another.

OP
Ulrich

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You're pretty close.

Before you do the backup, right click on the iPad and choose Transfer Purchases. Make sure everything on the iPad made it to the library. Then do the same thing, but choose the Backup.

Now you can connect your iPad2. If it is the first time it's seen iTunes, it should offer you a restore from backup right after it registers with Apple. If not you can manually choose to restore from backup by right clicking on the iPad and choosing Restore from Backup.

You will still have to sync to copy your apps and media back to the iPad. It's a good idea to go through the various sync pages and make sure they are set up the way you want before syncing. Depending on how much stuff you have this could take quite a while. It is ok to do it in stages, but I would start with the Apps if I were you.

Going into iTunes Preferences, the Devices tab, and turning off auto-syncing will give you more control over when and what gets synced.

Be sure not to restore your original iPad until you've got things the way you want. That way you can always start over.
Thanks for that. New iPad2 has still not arrived, but now it seems that I need to replace my iPad1 (busted headset jack; Apple will replace under warranty) and transfer the data twice. I assume the process is the same (except that I can't keep the old device until I made sure that everything is working right on the new one)?

Just to make sure, does this transfer all data? I.e. I have CineXPlayer installed; will this also transfer all my movies (which I think are seen as "application data"?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ulrich said:
Thanks for that. New iPad2 has still not arrived, but now it seems that I need to replace my iPad1 (busted headset jack; Apple will replace under warranty) and transfer the data twice. I assume the process is the same (except that I can't keep the old device until I made sure that everything is working right on the new one)?

Just to make sure, does this transfer all data? I.e. I have CineXPlayer installed; will this also transfer all my movies (which I think are seen as "application data"?

It should, but I would make sure that you have copies safely stored elsewhere too, just in case.

OP
Ulrich

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine worked first time, except all my app folders disappeared. I keep telling myself 'self, it was all for the best, you needed to clean up that mess anyway'. But myself isn't very good listener.
Yup. Same thing. And of course I have more apps than the iPad screens hold, so it's friggin' tedious to get everything loaded back on my iPad.

I am not looking forward to doing this again when I get the iPad2.

OP
Ulrich

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OP
Ulrich

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, not only does this not work for me at all, the outcome of backing up and restoring is actually different from when I transferred my data from my original iPad to the replacement iPad.

When I transferred data from iPad1 to iPad1, I lost all my folders (and books and music, since I had already deleted them from my iTunes library), but at least I kept other relevant data, like photos saved on the iPad or DivX movies that were stored as part of CineXPlayer. iTunes also only synced back apps that had a checkmark, i.e. were actually on the iPad.

Now when I restore data from the iPad1 backup to the new iPad2, I am losing not only the folders but also all pictures and CineXPlayer movies. iTunes looks like it is syncing back all apps I ever bought, regardless of whether I had them on the old iPad or not, and -- this baffles me -- some apps that I picked up as "paid" versions during free promo times all of a sudden display ads, i.e. lost their "paid" status (for example USB disk).

This is incredibly annoying. I suspect that it has something to do with the fact that there are new aplications as part of the iPad2 that were not there before (like Facetime) and that that is why iTunes cannot do a 1:1 restore from a backup and gets confused.

Apple dropped the ball on this one.

jjaanbutt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i want to upgrade my hard drive. its somewhat old and only has like 60 or so gigs on the hard drive and i have 27 free. anyways i was wanting to upgrade or something. whats the easiest way to do this and keep all my stuff?

Most reactions

Latest posts