What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E-Mailing Images from an I-Pad

agh55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, Sometimes when I e-mail images from an I-Pad to my Windows desktop PC, they appear in the body of an e-mail, other times they appear as an attachment. I don't think I'm doing anything different in the sending process, but I want them to appear as attachments to allow me to edit in Photoshop. Can anyone please help what I'm doing wrong.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Even if they appear in-body they are still attachments. Different emal clients have different rules (usually not editable) on what they show in body and as attached documents, but they are still attachments. My guess is it’s a matter of size or image extension that’s making the difference in how the images are being displayed.

To save them try right clicking on the in-body picture and see if there is a save option. Also, if your email client has a save attachments option, that should work.

It is not possible to create an in body display of a picture or document that is not an attachment wlithout using HTML emails. Something only newsleter and advertisers usually do. Basically, displaying a special web-page that can have external links in your email. You’d know if you were.

OP
A

agh55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply, I can save the images which are in the body of the e-mail.

The problem "thickens", I have another I-Pad and two I-Phones, which send images as attachments when opened on Windows 10 desktop. However when another member of the family sends images from both their I-phone and I-pad, the images appear in the body of the e-mail. You would think there is a setting which needs amended to make it transfer as an actual attachment.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you really want to test it properly, you need everyone to send exactly the same image. Otherwise, you’ll never know for certain whether it is a difference in the sender, or the image you get.

Also, email clients often reduce the size of images they send. When creating an email In Mail on iOS you can tap the CC/BCC line to expand it. If there is an image in the email you will see an Image button to the right, and be able to pick from various sizes.

Since the whether something is displayed in the body has a lot to do with the size of the attachment (my main theory) you’d need to make sure everyone is sending the image in the actual size.

PDF’s are different. They tend to show single pages in the body and mulitple page documents as attachments.

To re-emphasize, the files are not being sent differently, they are just being displayed differently. This is something most modern email clients do, especially with pictures which most people like to be able to easily see in their emails rather than having to save and open them. There should be a way, either through the message menu or by right-clicking to do anything with the images in the body that you could do with the little attachment icons.

Most reactions

Latest posts