What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E-mail like treacle

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I am writing an e-mail and insert a photo, even a reduced one, the pad runs like treacle with a horrendous delay when typing, having in some cases to wait for a few seconds for characters to show??
It takes forever to compose an e-mail. I dont remember the pad being like this a while back??
Surely this is not normal?
Tom

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you checked the speed of your internet connection to rule it out?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you using iCloud Photo Library?

If so, the iPad may need to download the full sized photo from iCloud before it can resize it properly. That might cause the issue, especially on older iPads. But that's just a guess.

If you have not done so, try reseting the iPad and see if that helps.

You probably know how to do this, since we post it a lot, but just in case: Hold down both the power and home buttons until the Apple Logo appears. No data will be lost.

OP
T

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Internet connection is fine. The photos I insert are from my camera role folder. I can type a letter no problem. As soon as I insert a photo the pad slows down to a snails pace. Even minutes later after the photo is inserted typing becomes almost a nightmare with words appearing anything up to 15 seconds after I type?
Resetting makes no difference. Its as if the processor or ram ( if there is such a thing on an IPad) cannot cope
Other apps will run fine even ones using lots of grahics, which is usually a root cause of speed loss, but this situation is the only one where I have experienced this huge slow response from of the pad

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, it certainly is not normal, but I don't have any other quick ideas that are likely to work. You may need to restore the iPad, from a backup first, and if that does not work a clean restore.

If you have an Apple Store nearby it might be worth letting them look at it. A genius appointment is free, and as long as the solution does not require a hardware fix, that is usually free as well.

You might want to check how much free storage you have on the iPad. That might affect the Mail app too. But again, that's pure guesswork.

OP
T

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I think my best option is to go to a store and like you say after arranging a genius appointment. Sometimes its best to demonstrate a problem. I have used most of the hard drive up but I should have thought that would affect everything if it was an issue. Normal mail typing is fine, even if I typed a huge letter, but as soon as I insert a photo tge brakes come on.
Many thanks for the replies folks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When Mail needs to send a photo, it has to make a copy of that photo for the email you are editing. If storage is constrained, it may be forced to play some games to keep everything running. That's why I suggested looking at storage. Hold in mind I'm talking about having less than 1 GB left, not just mostly full.

Nitpicky point. It's not a hard drive. It's solid state. No moving parts. :)

Please keep us updated on what the Apple Store says, if you go.

OP
T

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since upgrading to ios 9.0.1 the problem seems to have cured itself
Will keep an eye on it to see if it returns.
So far so good

Most reactions