What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVD's to iPad 2

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So ive tried to search if there was a thread about this but didnt find something to exactly answer my question.

What my question is, what program payed/free can I use to convert my original dvd's into the format where I can load them into itunes. Also how much space does a DVD take on the ipad?

deftdrummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I paid $34 for Aunsofts media converter. It has the most commonly found codecs and file types and there has been nothing I can't throw at it. It has iPad 2 setting and I just use that. I also like that it works as a stand alone converter for file you have on your machine.

deftdrummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
deftdrummer said:
I paid $34 for Aunsofts media converter. It has the most commonly found codecs and file types and there has been nothing I can't throw at it. It has iPad 2 setting and I just use that. I also like that it works as a stand alone converter for file you have on your machine.

Oh and a DVD will take roughly 4GB to 8GB of space depending on length and encoding settings. Blu ray can take upward of 8GB because of Dolby digital among other things.

scottcocoabeach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your encoded files are over 4 gigs for a DVD you might want to try Handbrake. My DVDs are usually between one and two gigs using the apple tv 2 settings and the quality is fantastic. I usually rip the soundtrack in twice once in regular Dolby II and once in digital AC3 so i can play back on a computer, pad or laptop or stream to my surround sound system in my living room. If you are on a PC then anydvd from slysoft is a great way to remove the encryption. Handbrake is available for Mac or PC. Of course this should only be done with DVDs that you legally own.

OP
K

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wow 4gb seems quite extensive for a movie :S i mean i got a 64gb and all but I wouldnt want to take up a lot of space for a few movies. I will try Handbrake and see how that works for me, Im not that great with comeputrers so hopefully its easy to use :p. Scott can you explain what you mean by "ripping the soundtrack twice" if i just converted it using the apple tv 2 settings, wouldnt that work fine?

DevinB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use dvdfab to rip movies, and keep them at 100% quality on my hard drive to watch using xbmc, an incredible media player. I've been converting Disney movies to mp4 to keep on the iPad for the kids. I've been using handbrake to convert, which has a preset for iPads. My movies have been coming out around 800meg (0.8gig) after being ~8gigs originally.

Last edited:

scottcocoabeach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can put multiple versions of the soundtrack into your file if you go into the audio settings in Handbrake. If you want to keep it simple the default settings are fine. If you want to add in an AC3 digital sound track to stream to a surround system then you can get MUCH better audio than if you just encode to two channel Dolby surround sound. You can also encode directors comments as a separate audio track. Just be sure to run a couple of tests to make sure your files play on all the various devices you want them to before encoding a ton of your movies.

Most reactions

Latest posts