What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVDs on an external hard drive

ImaWitch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

Sorry if this has been asked before but a search didn't throw up any answers.

We're heading off for 6 weeks and have two kids. I want to bring a selection of their DVDs to keep them amused on the plane etc. but don't want to take up loads of space on the iPad.

Is there any way I can rip them onto a USB hard drive and play them from there?

Thanks

Ima

Last edited:

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The bad news is that you can't just plug an external drive in and watch movies from it -so there's no cheap and easy option.

There are some easy (but not cheap) options around which are specially designed drives - a recent one launched which acted as it's own wifi server to stream conent.
Or you might find a cheap (but not particularly easy) option through some of the jailbreak hacks, although this doesn't work for the ipad2.

Will you have decent wifi access? I suppose you could try uploading movies to dropbox or something similar? Or a remote streaming app if you can store the files on a pc which can be left running while you're away?

Most reactions