What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVD to iPad 3

lelkes

iPF Noob
Reaction score

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Handbrake which is free and time-wise is around 1:1

Sent from my iPad using iPF

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
lelkes said:
Thx for your quick answer, but I´ve trouble which "setting" I should use for iPad 3. I´m using HandBrake for pc
//Peter

For Handbrake, use the iPad preset. I believe there is only one. Make sure you have the most current version.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the most current version of Handbrake. I just encoded a twelve minute segment of a DVD that I own. It took forty-five minutes to complete. It produced a one gig file. But looking at that twelve minute clip on my iPad via my GoFlex Satellite Wifi drive, beautiful! Well worth the processing time.

I'm going to try the Pavtube software that you linked. I want to see if that produces anything better than Handbrake and if I can save some time in the process.

Last edited:

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I think so too. But how get it smaller?

You have to edit the original file by splitting it into several parts before performing the conversion using any of the converters mentioned.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
coolstuffs said:
You have to edit the original file by splitting it into several parts before performing the conversion using any of the converters mentioned.

Why? And not only that, what tool would you use?

Encoding time is going to depend on the original file and the processing power of your PC/Mac. Running other processes at the same time will slow down the encoding. A pentium chip will take longer than an i5 chip, for example.

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why? And not only that, what tool would you use?

Encoding time is going to depend on the original file and the processing power of your PC/Mac. Running other processes at the same time will slow down the encoding. A pentium chip will take longer than an i5 chip, for example.

A video editing software can do the splitting. I'm use to a pc, so as an example I could use MovieMaker to split the file. Another which might be able to do it is the free converter "FreeMake video converter". IMHO showing with a split video compared to a long single video is better.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
coolstuffs said:
A video editing software can do the splitting. I'm use to a pc, so as an example I could use MovieMaker to split the file. Another which might be able to do it is the free converter "FreeMake video converter". IMHO showing with a split video compared to a long single video is better.

I still cannot see the benefit of splitting the file though. It should not make a difference to the encoding time, in fact, it has taken you extra time to split it and then for the software to join it back together.

D

dvdcatalyst

I´m trying to convert a 4.5 GB DVD using the discribed method. The software says the output is 6.37 GB and takes aproximatly 10 hours to convert.
Are there any faster way?

thanks in advance
Peter

Going from 4.5GB to 6.37GB is a bit strange. You might want to post a message in their forum section and ask for assistance. Unless you are using a 15 year old computer, 10 hours also seems a bit off.

You might want to give DVD Catalyst 4 a shot. I have a guide for how to use it with the iPad3 here:

http://www.ipadforums.net/dvd-catalyst/79710-dvd-ipad3-quick-easy.html

Movies from DVD should end up around 1-2GB in size (depending on the length of the movie) and if you are using a recent computer, it should run at at least 2-3x real time and if you are using a quad-core system, it will be quite a bit faster than that.

The guide above covers just about everything, so it looks quite long, but here is a brief idea of how it works:

5-Step Quick Guide:

Step 1: Download and install DVD Catalyst 4 on your computer.

Step 2: Start DVD Catalyst 4 and select the Apple iPad 3 profile.

Step 3: Insert your DVD or drag your video files over onto DVD Catalyst 4.

Step 4: Tap Go to start the conversion process.

Step 5. Connect your iPad 3 to your computer, start iTunes and copy the file over.

Once completed, just open the Videos App on your Apple iPad 3, and tap the movie to play it.

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still cannot see the benefit of splitting the file though. It should not make a difference to the encoding time, in fact, it has taken you extra time to split it and then for the software to join it back together.

What I'm suggesting is to split the file but not join the result into one. So instead of having one big movie file you will have several smaller sized files. Yes I agree it is really time consuming to do this. It is an option if the file under consideration is too large.

I have'nt really converted a very large file like 4.7 Gb into another format and observed the effect when played. The largest that I have converted is 3.5 Gb. And if I choose it to be for Ipad 3 playing the movie stuttered in some portion. However, if I chose Ipad 1 the playing is ok.

D

dvdcatalyst

What I'm suggesting is to split the file but not join the result into one. So instead of having one big movie file you will have several smaller sized files. Yes I agree it is really time consuming to do this. It is an option if the file under consideration is too large.

I have'nt really converted a very large file like 4.7 Gb into another format and observed the effect when played. The largest that I have converted is 3.5 Gb. And if I choose it to be for Ipad 3 playing the movie stuttered in some portion. However, if I chose Ipad 1 the playing is ok.

Splitting isn't needed. I'm not sure about the exact size, but I have had movies on it (from Bluray) that were over 8GB in size, so the size isn't an issue.

It does make it easier to test different settings though.

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Splitting isn't needed. I'm not sure about the exact size, but I have had movies on it (from Bluray) that were over 8GB in size, so the size isn't an issue.

It does make it easier to test different settings though.

How long, may I ask, did it take you to convert the 8 Gb movie to Ipad 3 format? According to OP, 4.7 Gb needs 10 hours.

Most reactions

Latest posts