What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVD on ipad?

mx1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No worries, I love it most movies will run about 1 to 1.5 gigs and the quality is not too bad.

Tim

volcanopele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally, I had issues transcoding using Handbrake straight from a DVD. I found a work around though that works great:

1) Use Ripit4Me combined with DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD to your hard drive.
2) Use Handbrake to transcode the DVD video (usually the title with the longest run time) to a format the iPad can understand. There is a preset available for the iPad, but i would adjust the video quality setting. I use 1953 kbps for the average bitrate which generates videos are on par with SD movies you may get from iTunes or Digital Copy. The iPad preset uses a Constant Quality of 20, which can create files that are 1.5 to 2 times the file sizes you would expect from iTunes. Keep in mind that using bitrates too much higher than 2000 kbps won't increase the quality of the converted DVDs since you are using a standard definition source (or at least it won't look any better).
3) Drag and drop the converted movies into the Movie section in iTunes. From there you can add posters for "album" artwork and other tags.

For the record, all three programs I mentioned above are free and are fairly resource light considering the tasks they are performing.

anathema

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Pamenamel,

I use Cucusoft iPad Converter Suite. It can rip DVD's to your iPad as well as convert DivX, XviD, MOV, dvr-ms, rm, rmvb, MPEG, WMV, AVI … to iPad video (MP4/H.264 format). Or Xilisoft's, or AimerSoft - just evaluate any trial version before deciding which one you want.

maggiena

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use Tenorshare DVD Ripper to help you.
It can help you put DVD movie to Ipad

poker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Pamenamel,

I use Cucusoft iPad Converter Suite. It can rip DVD's to your iPad as well as convert DivX, XviD, MOV, dvr-ms, rm, rmvb, MPEG, WMV, AVI … to iPad video (MP4/H.264 format). Or , or AimerSoft - just evaluate any trial version before deciding which one you want.

Does this mean I can edit files converted through Cucusoft in imovie on the iPad?

Thanks for info in this thread by the way :D

ChemoSabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to put DVD movies onto the ipad2 so you can watch them on flights that don't have wifi? I travel a lot....

Pam
+ 1 handbrake, new version 0.9.5 update the iPad preset, I suppose the (1 gen)iPad setting can work for iPad 2, if can't then you can try those 3-rd party software who update the iPad Conversion Software with iPad 2 Support like iFunia~

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ripping DVDs for yourself is legal as long as you don't distribute it elsewhere.

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cucusoft is ok but it has audio transcoding issues, and I KNOW you do too b/c I have 24 gigs of ram, 3.66 six core extreme computer...I'm sure it's not hardware issues...(it is much less than my older computer that's got 8 gigs ram, and 3.2 quad core)

Most reactions

Latest posts