What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Duplicate mailboxes

Mfnd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else is getting this problem but I have 2 mail boxes appearing in mail on my iPad1 (Ios5). One is for my dot mac account and the ther for my iCloud account. Both are the same account but it means I get all emails twice which is mildly annoying!

Anyone know how to stop this? In my settings it says mail settings are with iCloud, infact the exact same settings as on my iPhone, but that only displays the iCloud account.

Have tried turning the mail off in the iTunes sync on my computer but then I loose both mail accounts.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers in advance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is a guess, because I'm not certain from your description what you are doing:

Turn off your mail syncing in iTunes. This is not where you want to sync mail from.

On you iPad (with an internet connection), go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and Add Account. Choose iCloud and enter your information. If this account is already present, try deleting and re-adding it. This is the only place you should have your iPad set for mail syncing. If you still have your old MobileMe @me.com account, delete it also. (provided you've already migrated it to iCloud)

OP
M

Mfnd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am not syncing mail through iTunes, that is turned off and the only account which displays in the mail tab of settings in my iPad is iCloud, but I still get a mail box for .mac and one for iCloud. Have tried removing and the re-installing the account but still get both boxes.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Strange. Let me ask a few questions to make sure I understand.

When you are looking at the Mailboxes list you see two (at least) entries under Inboxes, one of iCloud and another named .mac? Do you have the All Inboxes choice?

Are you also getting two entries under the Accounts list. The iCloud account will show up as your Apple ID/email address? There should be one entry here for each account, just like the Inbox options. Unlike the Inboxes, you can get to all your synced folders by choosing the account.

If you select All Inboxes, do you get duplicate emails as well?

Attachments

• mailboxes.JPG
    mailboxes.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 609
OP
M

Mfnd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

That is exactly what I get-just as described/pictured. If I click on all inboxes then I get all mails in folders as they all appear twice. If I select just the iCloud account inbox then I only get them once but the badge stays on the home screen for 10mins or so to say I have unread mail as this is in the .mac folder. I have to press the refresh icon a few times after a minute or so to update the other account that the mail has been read.

In settings the only mail account it lists is iCloud where it lists all the other iCloud functions I am using on the iPad (calendars etc).

As I say, I have exactly the same settings on my iPhone and this only shows my iCloud account and works fine.

Cheers.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think I understand what it happening.

I just noticed that there are two places on the iPad that you can set up iCloud. One is in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account. The other is Settings > iCloud.

Delete the account in the first one. Then make sure you are signed in with the iCloud settings themselves, and Mail is turned on. At that point the iCloud settings will show up in the Mail, Contacts, Calendars settings again, but there will be no delete option when you open it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
After further though, I might have got the sequence wrong.

Go to the iCloud settings and delete those. Then go to the Mail account settings, and if there is an iCloud account, delete it. Then go back to the iCloud settings and sign back in.

Hopefully one of these will work for you.

OP
M

Mfnd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for that-issue solved!

Thanks again for the help.

Most reactions