What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

email rules on ipad

fiat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have a iCloud email account on my mac and ipad3. I also set a mail rule for receiving that iCloud acc on my mac, but couldn't find any way to do the same on my ipad. This has caused problem receiving this acc email from my ipad because e.g., the rule on mac says transfer the message to a specified mailbox and it (mac Mail client) does and removes the incoming email from inbox to the specified mailbox; on ipad the incoming mail is also removed from inbox, but transfered to no where (even I add the same specified mailbox on ipad, it just show up empty nothing in there). So I think this issue could be resolved by setting the same rule (and same mailbox) on ipad. Unfortunately, I found no crue as how to set mail rules on ipad. Any help? Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Vist icloud.com from a computer browser. You can set up mail rules there. These rules are applied before your mail is downloaded, so they will show up on both the Mac and iPad.

It's not as powerful a tool as the one in Mail on the Mac, but it will do for most tasks.

OP
fiat

fiat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again, Tpoet. It works very well for my need. Now one more question: why I can't find the "menu" icon (like a wheel) on my ipad Mail while it shows up on icloud.com site. Other than I can use it to set Mail rules, it also allows me to clean my trash can (i.e., really delete mails). I think I should be able to do that on my ipad. Am I right? But where is the menu icon in my ipad Mail?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks again, Tpoet. It works very well for my need. Now one more question: why I can't find the "menu" icon (like a wheel) on my ipad Mail while it shows up on icloud.com site. Other than I can use it to set Mail rules, it also allows me to clean my trash can (i.e., really delete mails). I think I should be able to do that on my ipad. Am I right? But where is the menu icon in my ipad Mail?

No problem.

You can quit looking. It is not there.

To delete your Trash,

• Tap the back button at the top of the email list (it usually says MailBoxes) until you see two lists; your Inboxes and Accounts.
  • Choose the iCloud account.
  • Select the Trash folder.
  • Tap Edit, then Delete All at the bottom of the mail list.

Trash is the only folder with a Delete All option. All other folders require you to select the files then delete them.

We're all hoping for better mail/folder management with iOS 6, however there have been no leaks about major updates to the Mail app, so don't get too hopeful.

OP
fiat

fiat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No other words but "thanks" to you, Tpoet. Just wonder how the "edit" button has anything to do with "delete" mails? Maybe am getting too old to overcome the big difference between apple's desktop OS and mobile OS. Can't imagine how I can handle it if I to get a new iphone! ...

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPhone and iPad are almost identical, with the exception of screen size UI differences and the additional phone related functions. Not much new to learn if you get one.

I usually save my main mail management tasks for when I'm at home on the computer. On the iPad I mostly just read and reply (if it doesn't require a novel).

As with most new things, especially new operating systems, it always seems more difficult at first. You'll soon have the hang of it. Just hold in mind that no tablet is as powerful and versatile as a desktop, and the apps tend to reflect that. At least so far.

OP
fiat

fiat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Tpoet, I understand and totally agree with you that my desktop should be my main hand on computing/working/communicating tasks. Maybe ipad is just for fun/reading (still the screen is a bit too small for me). But to be here having received valuable help from knowledgible/experienced people like you surely is a great joy to me. Thank you.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You are welcome.

Though I was only describing how I handle things. I didn't mean to imply that was how things should work.

meeko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use and app called AltaMail which has a very powerful rule feature for iPad and iPhone

Most reactions

Latest posts