What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual page Icon

M

moparherb

My question refers to Safari on my iPad air using IOS 8. There is now a page over page icon on the menu bar, which I was glad to see. But with my iPhone 5S when you touch that icon you get cascading pictures of some of your past web sites and it makes it easier to go to. But with the ipad if I touch that new icon a new window opens up but only my current web page is displayed. If I scroll down I see web pages I have visited on my iPhone but what do I do to get the iPad to act like the iPhone when you tap the dual pages icon in the menu bar. Sorry if I didn't explain myself to clearly, but I tried.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tap the icon, then select the + between Private and Done. This is what it will look like afterwards:
ejedy8ud.jpg

It's a bit different than on the iPhone in my case, maybe because I use landscape mode. If you intend to use it, you're able to see more of the website by disabling "Show Tab Bar".

Caution: a slide to the left will remove an open tab.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's not recently opened sites, it's currently open sites. The same ones you'll see if you have the tab bar enabled in Safari's settings.

It's a bit confusing, since Safari on the iPad no longer shows the tab bar if you only have one site open, and the only way to close that last site's tab is to use the page/page icon. (I wonder what Apple's official name is for it)

The iPhone version doesn't show recently open sites either. These are you open sites. Because you don't have room for tabs in the iPhone browser he page/page icon is your only choice to view open sites.

If you do want to view recently opened tabs in Safari, tap-hold on the + icon.

Apparently Apple simply labels the icon "View open tabs": From the iPad User Guide for OS 8.

OP
M

moparherb

Thank you both very much. I now have a clearer understanding of the page/page icon on both of my IOS devices.

Most reactions