What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual Band Wireless Router ??

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello all,

Don't have an I-Pad yet but planning on one before Christmas and want to get a wireless router set up before then.

Question is......Would a dual band router work better wth the I-Pad than a single band? Or does the I-Pad only support the single frequency which I believe is 2.4GHZ.

If I'm not mistaken, 5GHZ is the other frequency in the dual band routers. At least I think that's what the Linksys/Cisco is.

Thanks for the great forum!!!

Ken

iCrush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am posting this from my iPad, using my Netgear Dualband Wireless N Router, in the 5ghz mode.

Other then my TiVo, that needs to use the 5ghz band, I have my iPad, two laptops, a desktop, two iPhones, and an Apple TV on the 2.4ghz band.

I don't see any difference between either of the two bands. I did notice that I was able to get You Tube content faster on the iPad.

I hope this helps,
iCrush

iCrush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more thing. The 5ghz bandwidth is twice as wide as the 2.4ghz bandwidth, but does not transmit as far.

5ghz= short distance, ideal for streaming video, music and gaming

2.4ghz= long distance, good for everything else

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more thing. The 5ghz bandwidth is twice as wide as the 2.4ghz bandwidth, but does not transmit as far.

5ghz= short distance, ideal for streaming video, music and gaming

2.4ghz= long distance, good for everything else

That is a pretty good summary. Just to add a little more (confusion?) to the topic, 2.4ghz is better for streaming media at long distances than 5ghz is. I have found that I simply don't use the 5ghz band at all due to the fact that my router is too far away for it to do me any good.

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dual Band Router ?

Thanks for all the great inputs.....Ken

Most reactions

Latest posts