What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropped iPad screen not functioning

Snoopyjazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi... Dropped my iPad over the weekend and there are 3 small dents and the screen is not functioning. There are lines running all over the screen. The screen is not cracked. Am I eligible for a replacement? I understand apple gives replacement for only one dent not more than 0.4mm but my dent is 0.5mm. Would appreciate if I can find out

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The only way to find out is to make an appointment with the Genius Bar at your nearest Apple Store. I wasn't aware that they were replacing iPads with dents and they really aren't obligated to. But some members have been very lucky with Apple replacing iPads with cracked screens. You have nothing to lose by trying!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Didn't a member say in another thread that Apple stopped replacing broken screens as a courtesy ?

OP
S

Snoopyjazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I called the nearest Apple authorised dealer and they mentioned they will definitely NOT replace if there is a cracked screen. Dents must not be more than 1 and not longer than 0.4 mm. I will still take the iPad in tomorow for them to review but seems that i will have to pay 60% of the retail price for a replacement if it is void of its warranty. That's a huge sum to pay so my alternative is to get it repaired by a third party. So much for how great Apple is!!

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Redneck_Randy said:
Didn't a member say in another thread that Apple stopped replacing broken screens as a courtesy ?

[QUOTE="]

How could stopping replacing broken screens be a courtesy?

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes they do seem to have stopped it but you still hear of the odd person being very lucky. We had one last week who got one on the premise that it was a replacement for a broken home button rather than the cracked screen they had.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
Yes they do seem to have stopped it but you still hear of the odd person being very lucky. We had one last week who got one on the premise that it was a replacement for a broken home button rather than the cracked screen they had.

[QUOTE="]

I tho k one of the reasons Apple has stopped replacing iPads and possible iPhones is that in certain cases peeps are taking advantage of the old replacement policy.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
WitchOneSalem said:
[QUOTE="]

I tho k one of the reasons Apple has stopped replacing iPads and possible iPhones is that in certain cases peeps are taking advantage of the old replacement policy.

Yes I think that maybe the case too sometimes, people were expecting it and still are. I get a tad upset when I see people blaming Apple because they've dropped their iPads and they can't get a free replacement, which is just utterly ridiculous. And then you hear them say they will not buy from Apple again, wow, that just blows my mind.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So much for how great Apple is!!
I understand you are upset that your iPad is not working but it's not Apples fault that YOU dropped it. Some (not all) Apple stores were doing a 1 time courtesy exchange for damaged iPads and it was at their discretion. I don’t know of any other company that would replace product that was damaged do to an accident on my part. Not trying to kick you when you’re down but didn’t think your comment was really fair.

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I heard of a successful exchange today from a coworker. She had a cracked screen and some dents.
I say she was extremely lucky since this is becoming a rare event in the Apple Store.

☮ ♥ 

Most reactions

Latest posts