What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropbox query

corvid22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Forum,

I am a total newbie to this forum and my shiny new ipad. I use dropbox and although I can open and work on dropbox files on my ipad, it will not let me save them in dropbox. The only save option is to the ipad, which defeats the object of dropbox. Any advice on how to get around this. I have done a quick search on the forum and cannot see that this issue has been dealt with anywhere. Thanks. Corvid

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Forum,

I am a total newbie to this forum and my shiny new ipad. I use dropbox and although I can open and work on dropbox files on my ipad, it will not let me save them in dropbox. The only save option is to the ipad, which defeats the object of dropbox. Any advice on how to get around this. I have done a quick search on the forum and cannot see that this issue has been dealt with anywhere. Thanks. Corvid

Isn't dropbox used more as a syncing tool? Meaning, you specify certain files or folders on the device that sync with dropbox and then it happens automatically as long as you have an Internet connection? This is how it works on my laptop but that's windows based.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Forum,

Hi, corvid! Welcome to iPF!

If you use the app, you should have the possibility to save files to Dropbox.

Open a file, tap "Open in"

image-220447715.jpg

If you don't get Dropbox as option at first, slide to the left. Perhaps it looks like this then:

image-2257818387.jpg

Tap "Dropbox". The app will open and give you the possibility to save the document to Dropbox (upper right corner).

image-1687930775.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't dropbox used more as a syncing tool? Meaning, you specify certain files or folders on the device that sync with dropbox and then it happens automatically as long as you have an Internet connection? This is how it works on my laptop but that's windows based.

Yes, Dropbox mostly is used as a syncing tool. I store files there, so that I can open them with another device as well. That's how I use it with my iPads, my mobile phone (rarely) and the pc.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And, just to add: when you open a Dropbox-stored file in another app, you are actually creating another version of that file. This is due to Apple's "sandboxing" security methods.

So, if you don't sync the document back to Dropbox (kind of like saving it), you will end up with multiple versions of the file (the one on Dropbox and the one(s) in whichever app(s) you open that file).

Just so's you know...

Marilyn

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some apps, like Quickoffice Pro HD have Dropbox integration, so you can open a file from Dropbox and have it save back to Dropbox.

OP
C

corvid22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - but which app are you referring to?

OP
C

corvid22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, that is what I am trying to do. How do I find this Dropbox integration of which you speak? Opening from Dropbox is not a problem, but when I try to save, it will only save in Quickoffice Pro. Although the file was opened from Dropbox, I cannot find a way to save that same file back in Dropbox.

Some apps, like Quickoffice Pro HD have Dropbox integration, so you can open a file from Dropbox and have it save back to Dropbox.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, that is what I am trying to do. How do I find this Dropbox integration of which you speak? Opening from Dropbox is not a problem, but when I try to save, it will only save in Quickoffice Pro. Although the file was opened from Dropbox, I cannot find a way to save that same file back in Dropbox.

You don't open DropBox. You open Quickoffice Pro. Under the export/share options there should be a save to or open in app option. DropBox will (probably) be one of the available apps. Choose it. DropBox will open with the file. You will be prompted to choose a folder and upload.

QuickOffice Pro probably has the ability to connect directly to DropBox. Most of the better Office compatible apps do. Check through your account settings in the QuickOffice app and see if you can add your DropBox account. Once you do so, you will be able to access DropBox directly in the app without using the DropBox app.

Since Google bought QuickOffice, you can probably choose to use Google Drive instead, if that turns out to be more convenient. You should be able to add that account in your QuickOffice settings as well.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I just tested it (again). I opened a Word file from Dropbox within the Quickoffice app. Notice how Dropbox is set-up on the left as a cloud drive. I do not open from the Dropbox app. You must open it this way for it to work.

I make changes to the doc per usual, and hit Close then select Save (not Save As). Quickoffice will say "uploading" rather than "saving".

Attachments

• image-1026710534.jpg
    image-1026710534.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 241

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just tested it (again). I opened a Word file from Dropbox within the Quickoffice app. Notice how Dropbox is set-up on the left as a cloud drive. I do not open from the Dropbox app. You must open it this way for it to work.

I make changes to the doc per usual, and hit Close then select Save (not Save As). Quickoffice will say "uploading" rather than "saving".

Wow! Evernote support as well. I expected in app DropBox and Google Drive support, but not Evernote.

Most reactions